New Clones

it is going to be sued out of the water. If in fact they can sell the machines, the users CAN'T install any Mac OS on them as outlined in the EULA. This was tried before, and the same thing will happen.

Would it even be worth suing them? They might just end up obliterating themselves to bankruptcy if this is their only business model. OSx86 is hard enough to get installed and maintained from what I've heard, even if the hardware matches what is somewhat inside the Intel Macs. No way that someone like Joe User who might want to buy a Mac but can't because he can't afford it is going to take the time to run a Hackintosh. Seems like it was doomed to fail from its inception.

Hackintosh --- lol --- sue them!

More clones might equal more cracked versions of 10.5(watch for the rise of 10.5 torrents); leading to more vulnerabilities, in turn subjecting the people to malevolence that respect and appreciate the value of the proprietary Apple system. (Little Windows gremlins are already bored with sabotaging Vista... is that it?)

More clones might equal more cracked versions of 10.5(watch for the rise of 10.5 torrents); leading to more vulnerabilities, in turn subjecting the people to malevolence that respect and appreciate the value of the proprietary Apple system. (Little Windows gremlins are already bored with sabotaging Vista... is that it?)

This is exactly my sentiment as well. It's not that I want Apple to "go through the effort" of suing them, it's that a danger to the brand is a danger to the brand.

Would it even be worth suing them? ...
Yes. A company has a legal obligation to take reasonable measures to protect its property. If Apple allows this company to violate its EULA, then it will substantially weaken any future claims against others.

Yes. A company has a legal obligation to take reasonable measures to protect its property. If Apple allows this company to violate its EULA, then it will substantially weaken any future claims against others.

I understand that and I agree that they should, but my question was regarding the viability for Apple. Yes, Apple should sue them. But I wonder if this company is going to do most of the work of putting themselves out of business before Apple puts any effort and money into suing them out of existence, you know what I mean?

From the looks of it, this is just a crackpot company (and I'm from Miami....I should know! :p). They are already claiming that Apple is a monopoly because of their tight integration with their own hardware and software. Personally, I don't see it this way and I don't think the rest of the market does either. Apple is only affecting its users, not affecting ALL computer users in the way that MS does. And from the looks of it, Apple users are mostly content with Apple having control of the hardware and software. If not, then they can easily switch to a PC and continue doing what they want. So I have to wonder if since this company is already doomed to failure, why should Apple bother wasting time litigating when all that might need to be done is a cease and desist letter?

I'm not sure that these computers come with OSX installed. So, unless there's some hardware copyright, it won't be the computer manufacturer breaking the EULA. So there will be nothing for Apple to contest.

On the other hand, will Apple track down an sue every person who buys a retail copy of OSX and installs it on that machine?

I'm not sure that these computers come with OSX installed. ...
The company sells computers both with and without MacOS X. If it preinstalls the software, then the company is in violation of Apple's EULA. Even if it does not sell computers with preinstalled MacOS X, then it is inducing its customers to violate Apple's EULA. No matter how you slice it, these people are bad news.

This'll blow over without so much as a lawsuit, even if it isn't a hoax. They're simply selling PCs that are "close" to a real Mac's hardware. Like nixgeek's said, it's not a very simple task to install OS X on a PC and keep it up to date, not an enduser task, anyway.
Installing OS X on "the any-PC" has been possible since before the first release of the original intel iMac and the original intel MacBook Pro with hacked versions of the intel developer kit. This is no different. However: It's basically bad for everyone:

1.) Apple's image is not helped by this "news".
2.) The quite original and helpful OSX86 scene gets too much unwanted attention.
3.) Psystar will probably be bankrupt before long (if it ain't a complete hoax).

...Installing OS X on "the any-PC" has been possible since ...

Interesting.....I must find this PC. Maybe it will finally have that specific key that I'm always told to press in order to continue.... :p

Guys, the company is located in Miami and has already relocated.

This Psystar meets Mac clone saga gets more curious by the minute. Psystar, which has received a ton of press for offering Mac clones loaded with OS X, said it’s not a sham. Instead, the company notes that its merchant gateway “dropped the ball on us and refused to process any more transactions from the company.”
(http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8518&tag=nl.e539).

Miami is full of curruption, including law enforcement officers themselves.

What? They don't take Visa?
Is this company (all resources) run by high school kids? How about taking Visa like most legit vendors?
(same link as above). This is preposterous. I would not buy aspirin from a company that won't accept Visa.

Psystar should be moribund in a few days or even hours. Let us not worry so much about them. I already sent them an e-mail to their "Contact us" link and, of course, it was never replied to. Perhaps they failed to pay their Internet bill. What a bunch of losers!

-Alra111

I wrote the company (it's like my third e-mail gone unanswered) and recommended they change their name to Psyche Star. This little clone of theirs will never see the light of day. As I was saying, they're in Miami, and already changed addresses.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=3762

I saw we bet on how many hours/days it will take Psystar to vanish off the face of the planet.

I give them 96 hours. What about you all?

I understand that and I agree that they should, but my question was regarding the viability for Apple. Yes, Apple should sue them. But I wonder if this company is going to do most of the work of putting themselves out of business before Apple puts any effort and money into suing them out of existence, you know what I mean?

From the looks of it, this is just a crackpot company (and I'm from Miami....I should know! :p). They are already claiming that Apple is a monopoly because of their tight integration with their own hardware and software. Personally, I don't see it this way and I don't think the rest of the market does either. Apple is only affecting its users, not affecting ALL computer users in the way that MS does. And from the looks of it, Apple users are mostly content with Apple having control of the hardware and software. If not, then they can easily switch to a PC and continue doing what they want. So I have to wonder if since this company is already doomed to failure, why should Apple bother wasting time litigating when all that might need to be done is a cease and desist letter?

I'm sure Apple was already aware of this infringement upon their products, but I personally called Apple Customer Relations to report the issue and give them all the information about Psystar that I had.

Hopefully this will expedite the downfall of Psyche Star.

May they downfall be painful, costly, and embarassing.

-Alra111

I wrote the company (it's like my third e-mail gone unanswered) and recommended they change their name to Psyche Star. This little clone of theirs will never see the light of day. As I was saying, they're in Miami, and already changed addresses.

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=3762

I saw we bet on how many hours/days it will take Psystar to vanish off the face of the planet.

I give them 96 hours. What about you all?

This is great entertainment. In this age, you can't pull bullshit like this without getting international news. :)

Back