New eMac

Now 1.25 Ghz
I think it has a new GPU and USB 2 now (don't know what the old one had)

The cheapest eMac now has a faster Processor than the cheapest 15" iMac

8x Superdrive too

they are still too expensive for what they offer. In this price-sector you should be really addicted to macosx to buy that one instead of a pc... :(

Zammy-Sam said:
they are still too expensive for what they offer. In this price-sector you should be really addicted to macosx to buy that one instead of a pc... :(

humm. Not sure on that one mate. I use PC's and Mac's on a day to day basis. If I added up all the time I've saved by using a mac instead of a PC, the Mac would more than pay for its self over the year.

Well, at any rate, Apple did quietly update this one.
No surprise. I just wish that there was a real update coming.

Alex x said:
humm. Not sure on that one mate. I use PC's and Mac's on a day to day basis. If I added up all the time I've saved by using a mac instead of a PC, the Mac would more than pay for its self over the year.
As I said: macosx is the most convincing part of all. If you just pick the hardware, it won't cost you even half of it in the pc world including even the crt screen.. Unfortunately! This bad relation of price and performance is worst for the eMacs and iMacs if you ask me. The eMac is not much cheaper than the lowend ibook and probably not much faster. I would rather pick an ibook instead of the eMac..

Well zammy, I still think that the eMac is still faster, plus you can get it with a super drive and a much larger HD. The machine is pretty good for the money. It just shows that it is time for the iMac to be updated and Powerbooks. However, I am not suprised that they bumped the eMac. Hopefully this is an omen of things to come.

The eMac is made to equip complete rooms at school. Literally no risk of viruses. Little risk of children to copy (and steal) software. Little chance that children corrupt the system.... therefore globally low support and low cost for the school.

But the CRT is not something I would buy for home. I'd prefer a low-end tower with VGA graphic out.

chevy said:
The eMac is made to equip complete rooms at school.... therefore globally low support and low cost for the school.

exactly! the emac is an "educational macintosh" for schools. when ever my school gets a new mac to replace older iMacs (flavors!) and the B&W G3 towers they buy emacs. cheep. easy. nice. but the emac has gone through several minor changes with out announcement (it's kind of funny because be have a bank of 10 emacs. One side has bigger holes in the speaker covers with pro keyboards and the other side has smaller holes on the covers and have "keybords".)

Say what you will about the eMacs but I recommended it to my sis-in-law,it will be their first computer, EVER! Should be just right for the two of them,especially since I can't see either of them wanting to get to technical about their hardware for quite sometime.Now only if my sis will buy that iBook she sees at the online store :D

I think youre wrong about the eMac being just an "Education Computer". I know that you can get a PC for much cheaper, but this is still the Cheapest Mac. And the price isnt the only selling point. It still can do basically everything an iMac or even a G4 Power Mac can do (granted not as easily) for much cheaper. Its what I have and it does every thing I need it to do. Apple needs to have a lower end piece of Hardware like this, to attract people who are switching, like me .

Talking about value, Apple has a point about the low-end PCs. Last time I checked, they were using "integrated Intel graphics" that shares system memory. Lousy gfx, lousy performance. The 9200 is better, although 32mb is slim.

Doug

I, for one, am excited about the news today. I've been waiting to upgrade for a long time. My WallStreet is on its last legs, and although it would be amazing to have one, a G5 is a bit out of my price range. Throw in the discount I get by being a college student, and it seems to be a 'no-brainer'.

Apple realized they need to refresh something!!!

This is great, making great technology available to more people.

Also good for educational institutions.

dracolich said:
If it just could loose its monitor and sport a REAL, upgradeable AGP slot!

AMEM to that, why cant they get a better Video card in there.

down the road wouldnt a dual G5 with a 128mb video card in an aluminum case eMac be a really cool affordable Gaming machine, I think they could do pretty well and show that maybe apple does care about gaming somewhat, just an idea though

i dont think apple really cares about gaming!!!

who cares bout gaming on a mac when xbox 2 (with the g5 inside) is right around the corner.

they dont call them gaming consoles for no apparent reason!!!

Back