New eMac

It's not meant to compete with the iMac or a tower. It's the low-end of the spectrum and most of the replies here are looking at it from the higher end. For educational purposes, it's not a bad value and worth considering vs the low-end iBooks.
It's also something to consider for those on a budget, or who don't need much more. I could see my Dad dropping the pc (finally) and getting one of these vs an iMac.
And in that light, I'd have to wonder if it's priced too high. I'd still like to see Apple offer a bare-bones unit at a really outstanding price. Or, if they offered the same specs as they just released but reduce the price and they'd have a new segment to market: pc users. "The price is so good you can have the best of both worlds: PCs and Macs!" And I bet a handful would switch over full-time and upgrade within 18 months.

My mum is IT coordinator at her school she just ordered 15 new eMac she wanted the original iMacs (CRT) but couldnt get a hold of them.The "e" did originaly stand for education when apple first brought it out. My mum steered clear untill now because collegues at other schools had had big problems. They wont be delivered untill May so shes hopping that she will get the 1.25GHz machines. They will also have OSX pre installed for the first time. All before this one have had OS 9.2 I'll need to give her a quick tour during the hols. We are running both 9.2(for her) and X 10.2(for me) obviously the new machines will be runnign 10.3 - apart fromk new features like exposé are there any main diferences between 10.2(.8) and 10.3(.3) that if I show her on our home iMac will hinder/misslead her at school? Any tips would be great. Anway I think this is good. It apperas to be a good quality product for the lower end market something which apple needs. And it also seems to be cheaper than before. Lastly - something has gone wrong (with the update)on the apple uk site. The emac page apple.com/uk has been changed and the eMac is now aparently avalible for £549 but the link to the apple uk store is missing on this page "buy now" and when you select the eMac in UK store you get the old eMac (old specs) and the old prices £649 - MORE EXPENSIVE for less!

soulseek said:
i dont think apple really cares about gaming!!!

who cares bout gaming on a mac when xbox 2 (with the g5 inside) is right around the corner.

they dont call them gaming consoles for no apparent reason!!!
I think most of the ppl tend to compare mac to the pc world. A good pc is still a better gaming machine than any xbox, ps and co. Why? Take a look at the amount of games that are available for pc and for all those gaming consoles..
However, the new eMacs are probably great macs for common duties, if they were not that expensive :(

lets face it, the g4 is very far behind. might be good for laptops, but not for desktops.

personally, id never buy an imac g4... id either save money, or buy a mac on credit, and buy a g5. that is because a dual g4 is mostly slower than the lower end single g5...

the emac on the other hand is a good choice. its quite cheap and perfect for schools (which is what it is aimed at)

nmm88 said:
I think youre wrong about the eMac being just an "Education Computer". It still can do basically everything an iMac or even a G4 Power Mac can do (granted not as easily) for much cheaper.

Not as easily? Why d'you say this?

I was just referring to the fact that the eMac usually doesnt come preinstalled with as much ram or as fast of a processor as the Power Mac, or iMacs sometimes do. Those things can make doing resource intensive things go faster and generally speed up computer performance when using a lot of even small programs. I can do pretty much anything on an eMac that I could do on a dual 2 ghz G5, but for some things having the G5 im sure would make it much easier!

Thanks for the explanation. I asked because I'm thinking about buying one of the 1.25ghz eMacs and am on a really tight budget. I'm currently using a G3 iMac 400 so hope that it's going to resolve some to the performance problems I currently have. It's good to know that the eMac is working well for you.

Ian

Well so long as you arent planning on doing extremely intensive video editing or similar processes, the eMac will be a great choice for you! I love it :)

dracolich said:
If it just could loose its monitor and sport a REAL, upgradeable AGP slot!

I agree with that. Perhaps a slab "pizza box" or mini-tower case. I think more people would be content with Macs if they didn't have to shell out the bucks for the low-end tower. Apple should have some entry level mini-tower for those who do not want an all in one design.

Apple will sell more displays if they sell these apart from the Tower. Even if it is globally more expensive than an integrated iMac.

Nevertheless we know how much the integrated approach is important to Steve... as this was his reason for creating the successful Mac 128 - MacPlus series, and then the iMac.

Hmm... I guess Apple wouldn't sell much more displays with a cheap tower. 'Coz Apple's displays aren't cheap. The reason why people want to buy the display separately is because they either already _have_ a display or because they want to buy cheaper. So actually, Apple would lose money per machine by selling a cheap tower/desktop. However, they'd probably sell a lot more machines then. I get the feeling that Apple doesn't even _want_ to do that - or they'd have created a cheap tower long before now. (The 'cheap' tower would also bite into the more expensive G5 towers' sales, where there are profits. There's not much profit in cheap. Remember clones? They didn't extend the Mac's market share by much. But they ate from Apple.)

fryke said:
(The 'cheap' tower would also bite into the more expensive G5 towers' sales, where there are profits. There's not much profit in cheap. Remember clones? They didn't extend the Mac's market share by much. But they ate from Apple.)

Perhaps there shouldn't be so many versions of the current tower system. The lower-end tower could be smaller, cheaper, but less expandable, say only allow for an AGP upgrade only. No extra internal bays. Just the optical drive bay and hard drive bay. Higher priced towers should have the convenience of more internal expansion than what they now have, hopefully this will be the case with the next gens. I really don't want to buy an external firewire or USB2. I think more people would be inclined to buy a Mac if it weren't all-in-one on the low-end. There might not be much profit in cheap, but there's zero profit in no sales.

The low end one should still have a market... but which one ?
Schools ?
Gamers ?
Children of Mac users ?
Administration in companies where Mac are used for image edition ?
Administration in R&D centers that use Macs for number crunshing ?

chevy said:
The low end one should still have a market... but which one ?
Schools ?
Gamers ?
Children of Mac users ?
Administration in companies where Mac are used for image edition ?
Administration in R&D centers that use Macs for number crunshing ?

All of the above. Especially those that don't have deep pockets and opt for the $500 - $999 all inclusive Dell specials and shake their heads at having to pay well over a $1000 for a low-end unexpandable iMac. The all-in-one designs need to disappear.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the first who'd WANT such a machine as my secondary Mac in the house. But my reasons above may show why Apple hasn't done it in the past - and probably won't in the (near) future.

Oscar Castillo said:
All of the above. Especially those that don't have deep pockets and opt for the $500 - $999 all inclusive Dell specials and shake their heads at having to pay well over a $1000 for a low-end unexpandable iMac. The all-in-one designs need to disappear.
I don't know I take this as snobbery on your part.I've always liked my "all-in-one designs". There are alot of people out here who aren't interested in tearing apart their machines to do the latest & greatest tweaks every other week.

markceltic said:
I don't know I take this as snobbery on your part.I've always liked my "all-in-one designs". There are alot of people out here who aren't interested in tearing apart their machines to do the latest & greatest tweaks every other week.

It's not about tearing machines apart, but for allowing users to do simple most common upgrades, such as the video and hard drive without having to rip the machine apart as is the case with the all-in-ones. A side affect would also be to lower prices some to make the entry level machines more attractive to those on a tight budget who may want to recycle an older monitor or buy a new but cheaper display.

Back