New firmware....

jwoods

Registered
Does it do anything other than allowing you to run bootcamp?

I'm all for updates and fixes, but if I have no intention of installing XP on my mac is there any reason to update the firmware?

At least that's what they say. It probably has one or the other fix that was ready along with it, too. Since it should still perfectly work afterwards: Why not do it anyway...

Does the new firmware show up in software update? I'm not sure if if the Intel iMac one is for all Intel iMacs or just some of them.

Should be for all intel Macs, not just the iMacs, even. If it doesn't show up on software update, check Apple's support site.

Apparently some people are reporting that this firmware upgrade also helps with the processor "whine" of the MacBook Pro, but Apple doesn't say squat about that, and you know how fanatical people can seemingly experience stuff that isn't really happening when they put their mind to it.

Are any of you experiencing a much louder noise coming form your iMacs after the firmware upgrades? I heard a lot of people complaining about that, but that was on European Forums.

No, I think it was someone said he heard someone say the MacBook didn't get so hot after updating the firmware. ;)

Is this update for all Intel iMacs? It's not in my software update and I'm not sure if it's related to BootCamp or just Intel iMacs in general.

Thanks

I believe it is related to boot camp. I wish apple would list a change log, but the fact that they are not makes me tend to think that they don't want to reveal whatever is actually changed.

I suspect this firmware adds the BIOS compatiblity layer to the firmware.

Back