New G5 Dvd-r/rw Multi-session Burning

rmac

Registered
I am having no luck burning multi-session DVD-R or DVD-RW using either disk utility or Toast 6 Titanium. I leave the session open but when it comes time to burn the second session it asks me to insert a recordable disk as if it has been closed. I can erase the RW's to zero k but that is no good because I want to do incremental back-ups until the disk is full. The system profiler lists the drive as a SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A and I have seen in some forums that the Superdrives are actually re-branded Lite-On drives with at least the Dual Layer burning capability crippled. The drive can have the firmware flashed turning it back into a Lite-On with full capabilities. Does this look like a possible culprit? I have had luck burning multi-session CD-R with Toast. I think this more than a media compatibility issue. What do you think?

It is my understanding that Tiger is incapable of multi-session burning to a DVD-RW, though it IS capable of such to a CD-RW.

I remember reading a thread a few months ago, that decided multi-session burning on a DVD-RW is not possible on a Mac, and no software supports that. I did a quick search, but could not find that info. Maybe someone here can prove that wrong!

I remember reading a thread a few months ago, that decided multi-session burning on a DVD-RW is not possible on a Mac, and no software supports that. I did a quick search, but could not find that info. Maybe someone here can prove that wrong!

Back