New hard drive

garmp

Registered
Just purchased an additional internal hard drive (160 gig) for my G5 OSX 10.3.8 single processor.

After installing the drive I was told that it was not recognized, erase and format? I said yes, then was presented which a whole array of options, partition, etc. All I wanted to do is copy (with carbon copy clone), and backup my current drive. What do you recommend as far as all the choices (partition, etc.), cause I'm really lost. This would probably require detailed instructions as well (I'm a dummy).

Thanks for any and all advice/opinions.

I would make two partitions for what you want to do. See how larger your current system is, and make a partition a couple GB larger. Use that to clone your main system to it.

So, first choose to format the drive with two partitions. When done, use CCC to clone your main drive to the partition you made for it. The other partition you can use for storage, apps or anything you want.

That way, once a month, or any time frame, you can use CCC to clone your main drive to that backup of your system to keep it up to date, and the second partition will be untouched.

Just my .002

Wow, thanks for the super fast answer. But one more question is you will (for now). What is with this Journal option. This would do what for me?

I am having trouble mounting a second hard drive. I picked up a 250 GB Hitachi DeskStar from OWC, and I followed instructions and added the black screws so that it would snap in the second bay, and I plugged in the power and data cables.

Problem is, the drive is not mounting in disk utility, so I can't format it, mount it, nothing. The drive's power appears to be working, but the 250 GB drive will not mount.

I've noticed that the 80 GB drive that came with this Mac (it is a refurb purchased from Apple) has a jumper on it. Could that jumper have anything to do with why the DeskStar won't mount?

It's hard to troubleshoot the problem if we don't know anything about your setup. What exact model of Macintosh do you have? What version of OS X are you using? Did you jumper the new hard drive correctly for your model of Macintosh?

Please elaborate greatly on your setup so we can help you.

Back