new harddrive and won't boot...

mac fan

Registered
Well,

I had to install a new hard drive on my iMac G4 and unfortunately forgot to put in the operating system cd into the drive before I replaced the hard drive. Now when the computer starts up I get the grey screen with the os folder icon and a "?". Tried the familiar key commands but nothing will work. Please help.

Last edited:
01. '... and unfortunately forgot to put in the operating system cd into the drive before I replaced the hard drive.' - such an action is / was not required.

'Tried the familiar key commands but nothing will work.' - a vague (non factually specific) statement.

02. The hard disk drive replacement must be jumpered (configured) as a 'slave' (preferred) or 'cable select' device.

03. (Re-)Boot the Mac with the 'Install Disc 1' inserted and the 'option' key pressed. When permitted to make a boot volume selection, select 'Install Disc 1's icon, and then click on the '-->' key. Possibly, you may be able to boot from 'Install Disc 1' by pressing the 'C' during the boot process.

04. Proceed through the installation process.

I'm having the same problems as mac fan. Only when I hold option to to try to boot from the disc, it won't let me, nothing shows up.

When you hear the startup chime, hold down the mouse button for the optical drive to eject so that you can insert the installation disc.

didn't work. I just keep getting the folder and ? mark.
I have the original disc for 10.2 as well, I don't understand why it won't load.

Have you tried to zap the PRAM? Hold down Command-Option-P-R altogether after you hear the startup chime. Hold it down for about 3 consecutive chimes and then let go. See if that allows you to do anything in order to get the installation process started.

Hold down the "C" key if you want to boot from install disk. Holding the option key only give you choices of operating systems already installed on either your main or external firewire drive.

Hold down the "C" key if you want to boot from install disk. Holding the option key only give you choices of operating systems already installed on either your main or external firewire drive.
Actually if you hold down option then it will give you a list of any bootable drive connected to computer, and I'm pretty sure you can only boot off USB drives on intel macs.

I tried holding down C and nothing. It just goes to the same window. option didn't work either nothing comes up at all. I'm going to try the command option P R. thanks, will let you know if it works.

so I did the command option P R... didn't work either. I'm booting (trying to) off a laptop I am extremely sorry I failed to mention this in the beginning.

Take it in to be fixed. If you really tried all these things then something is very wrong with it.

Back