New iMac commercial!

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I just watched the new iMac commercial on NBC. Not bad. I liked the fact that they worked Jeff Goldblum back in, his voice was at the end of the commercial. Good job, Apple. :)

OMG that's very amusing. Good ad, in Apple style as usual (no info, but just the Apple logo). Very funny ad. :)

That is a pretty sweet commercial...but part of me wishes Apple had more "hard fact" commercials and less "feel good and/or funny" commercials. I want people to know how powerful the G4 processor is, I want them to know they can find all the mac apps they'll ever need, I want them to know how easy it really is to burn your own CDs and DVDs. Put a G4 head to head with a wintel box...show how they are really different...show that macs give you more for your money, etc...

It seems like Apple has to spend a lot of time dispelling myths on print, when on TV they could be much more effective. The casual computer user might not take the time to read computer pamphlets, but will have to watch the commercial during their favorite show.

All in all...as an Apple fan I love this commercial cause it captures the true spirit of Macs and makes me laugh...but I'm afraid that those who've never used them might not find this commercial as an effective pitch. I just wish sometimes that Apple would lay it out on the line and tell it like it is.

I agree with Izzy. For years I feel Apple has dropped the ball in this realm of advertising. When Windows 95 came out touting all their new features, a great commercial would have been showing a Mac from 1991 running System 7 which featured the same things. Now, more than ever, Apple needs to show the speed increase, because there are still a lot of people who hear that the G4 tops about at 1 GHz think its slower than 2.2 GHx Pentiums. Doesn't have to be super-technical, just enough to show the casual user the real reason we love Macs.

I dunno, I've always liked the Apple commercials. They're different then EVERY other PC commerical where they spill the same bland "blah blah gighertz pentium processor, blah blah X CD rewritable, blah blah inch flatscreen display, blah blah blah gig hard drive" It's lame.

I was watching TV last night with my roomate and a friend when that commercial came on, and they were both "Whoa! That's the entire computer?"
I said yup.
"You mean everything is in that little thing?"
Yup.
"Where's the floppy drive?"
Macs don't have a floppy drive.
"What abou a ZIP drive?"
If you need one, you get an external like I have.
"And it can run as fast as your little laptop?"
Actually, it's a lot faster than mine.
"How much does that thing cost?"
Umm, I think like 1200 for the base model.
"Thats pretty sweet."
Yup.

Anyways, that was the conversation. They were really impressed .. I'm guessing that if people are that intrigued, they would go look it up on the internet to see all the specs. I thought it was a good ad.

I am torn.

I really like the ad -- but for existing Mac users.

I would really love to see a simple ad that would do just what some have described. Maybe a blow by blow comparison on the major points between mac and pc. Not too technical, but enough to dispell some myths and get the non-mac users to go online and read the in-depth tech stuff. I don't believe that consumers in general, no matter how technical individuals may be, will go online and research a mac, any mac, just because of an ad like this one. People are just not that motivated. Especially if they are the typical PC user seeing the iMac commercial. Their thoughts would be more along the lines of -

What's that? Oh! a stupid mac. Do I have enough time to run to the toilet before Survivor starts?

There would be no online research. In fact, the very thing that makes me like the commercial - it's humour, wit and "different" nature - will make non-mac users discount the mac as a "real" computer. People need things spoon fed to them in very precise ways, ways they are used to. Unfortunately. While it may be "blah blah blah" to us, to many, if not most, that is the sign of a "real" computer ad.

Personally, I think Apple is doing a good job with their advertising.

Why? There's already enough rave reviews of the new iMac that most people will at least know what the new iMac is and that it's a great machine. I haven't seen one bad review of the new iMac online, and even the one in the newspaper was raving about it while saying it wasn't "innovative enough".

This ad is good because it just makes people laugh and shows the different side of computers. I can't stand all of the PC ads that just tout their specs. If I'm shopping for a new computer, I'm going to be looking closely at their specs to see which is the best value, anyway. So I'll find that out in due time.

It occurs to me, though, that Apple could have felled two birds in one stone though; how about making the "display window" be the display window of an APPLE RETAIL STORE? So at the end, the guy goes in and buys the iMac. It wouldn't take too much changing, and it would a great way to advertise their stores even if they don't specifically tout it.

Oh, well, this is an amusing ad and I hope they run it often. I wonder if this is the ad that's going to be broadcast at the Oscars...

I think Apple has good advertisments, but they don't give enough information. They should at least mention the Superdrive! I mean come on! This computer can burn DVDs! That's amazing!

Did anybody else notice that there was no "Think Different" at the end?

simx,

that's a great idea. they should have it in/around an apple store. Maybe they will do it. It always seems they make commercials in batches of two or three. Maybe, we'll see one yet.

However, I still think that these ads are great for those already interested in Apple. Yes, if you're already considering a computer, you will check the specs. But, would PC users even consider a Mac to begin with? My opinion is that this type of ad will never sway a significant portion of PC users. And, all the rave reviews of the new iMac have only added the term "iLamp" to my PC-using "friends" vocab. They have NO interest in reading a review of a Mac at all. This is what the mass media should be used for, to get new Mac users. Sure we could use a few ads of this type too for people like us to enjoy...:)

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard the new imac referred to as the "iLamp"...LOL

This add isn't gonna help the matter, or dispell the rumor that the mac is nothing but a "toy"...please post a side to side comparison Apple and shut up the hecklers...we're dyin out here on the front lines ;)

I like the new ad. Sure, it may not tout specs and such, but that's not really Apple's style now, is it?

Also, bear in mind what an advertising agency (like Chiat/Day) has to go through when brainstorming ads... they have to think about who this ad is for. They could have chosen specs... instead, they chose to personify the iMac. I think that was a very intelligent decision. After all, we've known the whole time that Macs are computers with soul... This is for people who are probably afraid of computers, or are simply fed up with the same ol' PC...

Also, yes, notice the lack of "Think Different" in the ad... I suppose this is the transition period to "Everything is easier on a Mac" logo.... shame they didn't really use it, though.

Also, I agree, the guy should walk into the Apple Store and BUY the thing. Maybe even change the song to "How much is that doggie in the window?" Okay... so, that might be stretching it, but yes, he should go in and buy it from the Apple Store...

Overall, a good ad. Not fantastic, but good.

Back