New iMac hints, what possible configurations for the next iMacs?

DCD

Registered
I'm pretty much ready to buy an iMac...but wondering if Apple could come out with a 2GHz version soon? Maybe a 23" version?? Or am I just dreaming?? I know it would be getting into the Power Mac territory but it would be a good idea for high end users not wanting the full-on potential of the bigger desktops...

I hope so. I been saving up for a iMac to replace my 3 year old eMac. Of course I was going to wait till they were upgrades and price was dropped some.

Most certainly there will be a 2 GHz iMac, but unlikely before the PowerMacs are upgraded. 23" would be pushing the limit, though...

Im thinking after awhile i will save up and get a Powermac with a 23" or 20" display. I was looking at the dual 2ghz but if they bring out a single 2ghz or something with 2ghz and a 23" display i think i might go for an iMac over a powermac. Then again it depends of how much they are and what the power macs will be like when they bring out this iMac.

I think Apple needs to bring out a 23" dual processor G5 iMac, with the new 8 times Superdrive and a very large hard drive.

This is what is needed to watch HD TV and thus bring the Mac into the living room.

$1899 for the current top of the line 20" iMac

$1999 for the bottom end dual processor PowerMac + $1799 for the 23" display ($3798 altogether i.e. Double the price of the 20" iMac).

That leaves plenty of room price wise for a new top of the line iMac.

Kap

However it woudl be great if they did bring out a 23" dual iMac, but it would have to be a rather pricey expense. As it is its $1800 for a 23" display, a dual 23" iMac would have to be nearly 2-3 or even nearly 4 grand. But if Apple did do this they would have to do a big upgrade within the Powermacs and basically let the low end powermac be the same proccessor speed as the dual iMac, otherwise why would you buy a powermac ? Why not just go for the all in one solution.

I could be wrong but thats what i think - i would love to see a dual 23" iMac and i think Apple does need to bring one out too, but i think maybe people would overlook the powermacs by some chance.

A 23 would start to push the lines between the PM line. Remember Apple would like to see PowerMacs and monitors as well.
And have the people asking for 23s used a 20? It's huge already. A bump in performance seems pretty reasonable though.

smithy said:
However it woudl be great if they did bring out a 23" dual iMac, but it would have to be a rather pricey expense. As it is its $1800 for a 23" display, a dual 23" iMac would have to be nearly 2-3 or even nearly 4 grand. But if Apple did do this they would have to do a big upgrade within the Powermacs and basically let the low end powermac be the same proccessor speed as the dual iMac, otherwise why would you buy a powermac ? Why not just go for the all in one solution.

I could be wrong but thats what i think - i would love to see a dual 23" iMac and i think Apple does need to bring one out too, but i think maybe people would overlook the powermacs by some chance.
Based on today's prices, a 23" dual G5 iMac would have to be somewhere between $1899 and $3798. My guess would be about $3000.

Why buy the 23" iMac?
  • Because it would have the exact specs required to watch (and record using EyeTV) HD TV.
  • Because it's all-in-one form factor means that it can easily be placed in a living room
  • Because it's cheaper than the PowerMac + display
Why buy the PowerMac + display?
  • Because the PowerMac has expansion ports
  • Because the PowerMac has better specs - bus speed, gigabit ethernet, more RAM (expandible), FW 800 ports, etc.
  • Because you're a professional who's going to want to replace either the computer and/or display in the long term
Randman said:
And have the people asking for 23s used a 20? It's huge already. A bump in performance seems pretty reasonable though.
If the 20" were enough to watch HD TV, I would be very happy with the size, but it's not.

Kap

Okay, so we all would like to see some changes for the iMac, but what about the eMac? When will it get updated? What will change? Will it actually be updated or phased out? Since the iMac is able to be purchased without a cd-rom drive for educational purchases.

diablojota said:
Okay, so we all would like to see some changes for the iMac, but what about the eMac? When will it get updated? What will change? Will it actually be updated or phased out? Since the iMac is able to be purchased without a cd-rom drive for educational purchases.
I hope the eMac is phased out. The Mac mini and iBook make much more sense to me (for education, etc).

The only compelling reason I have heard to buy an eMac - if you're running an internet cafe they're great, because thieves can't grab them and run (far :D).

Kap

thats the same problems with a mac lab at a school even with security locks, stuff gets stolen very quickly. is i would love to keep the emac line

Why are people going on about HD TV?? Surely you will buy a new compuer/screen before HDTV becomes available? I live in Japan which is currently transmitting in HV (High Vision format), but plans to transmit in HD 1920x1080 have recently been set...plus it looks like Blue Ray/HD DVD will come way before HDTV become wide spread so its not really important to consider HDTV for your Mac...I just want it for the potential space it frees up on the desktop!

Plus as far as I know there are only a few flat screen LCD TV's available in HD format, the Sharp Aquos 45" and the Sony Qualia 45"...

DCD said:
Why are people going on about HD TV?? Surely you will buy a new compuer/screen before HDTV becomes available? I live in Japan which is currently transmitting in HV (High Vision format), but plans to transmit in HD 1920x1080 have recently been set...plus it looks like Blue Ray/HD DVD will come way before HDTV become wide spread so its not really important to consider HDTV for your Mac...I just want it for the potential space it frees up on the desktop!

Plus as far as I know there are only a few flat screen LCD TV's available in HD format, the Sharp Aquos 45" and the Sony Qualia 45"...
I'm not sure I fully understand your point. Ok, HD TV isn't quite here yet (although you can now work with HD video in FCP/iMovie). However, a lot of people aren't going to buy a new computer/display every 2 or 3 years - as is the wont of the tiny proportion of hardcore computer users - because it simply costs too much money.

For some of these people, paying about $3000 to get both HD TV (when it truly arrives in the next couple of years) and a computer is a reasonable cost.

i.e. There's a potential market that Apple isn't currently supplying.

Kap

I wish Apple would stop using CRAPPY graphics chips like Radeon 9200 and Geforce FX 5200 with 32 and 64MB Ram. And the fact that they cannot be upgraded means you're screwed for playing games on the iMac, iBook and eMac at decent frame rates. Even my PowerMac has a FX 5200 and its crap :confused:

Cannot afford $500 for a decent card from Apple :(

I do agree with you Graeme43. My only complaint with Apple products is the lack of options with the graphics cards. The one button mouse I can live with, since I'll change it out anyway. I know a bunch of people are going to say, well you can use the powermac, etc. No. I really want to have a "home" computer where I can upgrade the graphics card every now and again. Especially to take advantage of the progression that comes with each release of MAC OS X.

So, it looks like Apple is slowly phasing out firewire. What a shame. Though strange the thing I hate about usb is that I can never figure out blindly unless with dumb luck which way the plug goes in. With firewire since it has that notch I always get it right the first time around. So, are the new imacs, emacs, powermacs even going to have firewire and with the advent of usb 2.0+ will Apple take firewire 800 out of the picture as well? Also, kind strange that the new stuff is coming out after the big usb conference. I guess the masses one on this one.

So, it looks like Apple is slowly phasing out firewire

mi5moav
If you have any information on Apple doing this, please post it.
Doubtful this will happen.

Yeah, mi5moav: Just don't go around posting ducks everywhere. Proof: All current products by Apple sport FireWire or even FireWire 800 (only the iPod Shuffle doesn't, for obvious reasons). So: No, it does _not_ look like Apple's phasing out FW.

Back