New iMac hints, what possible configurations for the next iMacs?

I dislike how all the Macs starting with i have really low end graphics cards which you're stuck with on a high end computer :confused:

I am one for recommending Apple products to everyone, but I am 15, and my PowerMac G5 came with a FX 5200, which I cannot afford to buy a GeForce 6800 or a ATI X800, and there are no middle end cards to buy. :(
I was also stuck to buying a standard G5 model and unable to get the 9600 with my order!

My only complaint about Apple is the graphics cards! :(

Also, I don't think its worth $529 for an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac edition from the Apple store for my country, nevermind the $762 for the 6800Ultra (using xe.net/ucc price translator)

IMO Apple graphics cards are overpriced, and I wish PC ones would work in it :(

BTW I live in the UK where everything on the Apple store is like 50% dearer than the US one ::angel::

Chiming in with mi5moav, FW is now a 20$ _option_ on iPods, standard is USB. Though probably this is done more to ensure compatibility with PC's than a plan to phase out FW.

Graeme43 said:
My only complaint about Apple is the graphics cards! :(

Also, I don't think its worth $529 for an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac edition from the Apple store for my country, nevermind the $762 for the 6800Ultra (using xe.net/ucc price translator)

IMO Apple graphics cards are overpriced, and I wish PC ones would work in it :(

BTW I live in the UK where everything on the Apple store is like 50% dearer than the US one ::angel::

I just bought the ATI x800XT that will dribe a 30 inch display (like the 6800Utra) for less than $500 US. It was very easy to put in. I just had to reinstall the latest Combo update because the drivers on the ATI disk were a little old. 10.3.8 had updated drivers for the card.

Cat said:
Chiming in with mi5moav, FW is now a 20$ _option_ on iPods, standard is USB.
Irrelevant, because they've dropped the price by that much and more i.e. Apple is only supplying the bare necessity accessories and passing on the cost savings to the customer.

I'm sure once the 20GB iPod has a revision, they'll drop the FW and drop the price to match as well.

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
Why buy the 23" iMac?
  • Because it would have the exact specs required to watch (and record using EyeTV) HD TV.
  • Because it's all-in-one form factor means that it can easily be placed in a living room

• But who wants a pidly small 23" display to watch HDTV in their living room? That's what 36" and 52" TVs are made for. 23" is smaller than my (non-HD) TV. Best to get a PowerMac and 30" LCD or just hook up to a real HDTV as your display in a living-room-Mac.

Graeme43 said:
I dislike how all the Macs starting with i have really low end graphics cards which you're stuck with on a high end computer :confused:

The whole idea of the iMac line was simplicity, not upgradability. GF FX5200 may be crummy by modern standards, but it's good enough for Average Joe's all-in-one system that will probably never be upgraded anyway.

Graeme43 said:
I am one for recommending Apple products to everyone, but I am 15, and my PowerMac G5 came with a FX 5200, which I cannot afford to buy a GeForce 6800 or a ATI X800, and there are no middle end cards to buy. :(

Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition cards have come down in price recently. For most uses, the AGP 4X model (the G4 compatible one which also works in G5s) is just as good as the G5-only AGP 8X version (unless you're determined to get the extra 2fps or so in UT2003 ;)). I got my 4X card for US$279 (when the retail price was still about $350). Now I think they've come down to under US$300 retail so you might find a better deal if you shop around.

Right now, that IS the mid-range card for Macs. I agree, it's pretty pricey for a mid-range card. C'est la vie.

Back