New iMac Rumor Discussion

Androo

Yeah, Androo.
hey, there's been a rumor going around that in a few months there will be a new imac. It could come as early as september, to as late as Christmas (or hannukah!) time.
The new imac should feature the new G5, Panth 10.3, possibly a new design, a beautiful screen, and tons of unexpected features, which will blow our minds away!

We should be hearing about them at the expo in paris, sometime in september.

Absolutely no way. Not a chance. The iMac is a consumer machine. The G4 still has PLENTY of life left in it, and Apple knows it. There's no way they could fit the cooling system the G5 requires into anything even CLOSE to an enclosure the size of the current iMac's.

damnit.... so then it will have a g4. :( i wanted it with a g5 waaaaaaaah :(

o ya i think it's been reported at looprumors.com, i heard it other places too.

I have no doubt in my mind that there will, eventually, be a new iMac. Even a new tower machine. Hell, there will be new PowerBooks and iBooks as well... I can say this with 100% certainty.

Of COURSE there will be a new iMac sometime in the future! Is Apple closing its doors? No... Is Apple stopping production of computers? No... therefore, there WILL be new computers.

Ugh. You don't know what kind of processor it will have. You don't know what it will look like. You will just have to wait, but rest assured, there will be a new machine in the future.

Looprumors sucks.

And, to restate what's been said before, the G5 requires immense cooling. Try getting air through that hemisphere with all that computer packed in there.

is it that you think it sucks, or because i mentioned it?

spitty27: wooooooh! Jew 4 life lol. The greatest day was my bar mitzvah. I am RICH now!

Yeah, go us Jews!

Androo, you think you're rich now, but just wait until your parents put most of that into savings and most of the rest to a charitable organization. That's what I did, and I ended up with something like $300 of the $4500 or so I got from my own bar mitzvah.

On topic, Apple is not going to release a new iMac "in a few months" because the current design is only 2 years old. They may upgrade it, but it will be the same desk lamp design. The gumdrop design lasted 4 years, debuting around the time the G4 was announced. And look at how they had to design the G5 to keep it cool: do you really want a cheesegrater iMac?

Apple doesn't include its latest-greatest processor in its consumer (or professional portable) computers for at least a couple years after the new Power Macs have been out for a while. We won't see G5 iMacs, and therefore a redesign, for at least 2 years, probably.

Which would be too bad. If Apple came out with G5's across the board, it would really shake things up. Imagine if suddenly every Mac recently sold not only had a faster model, but a dramatically faster replacemnt. Any G4 or G3 owner would suddenly have a very good reason to upgrade.

how many figgin jews we got here? lets start a poll! haha -- yeah i got my pismo a year before my bar mitzvah cuz the family needed a computer, so i didnt get to keep any of the money in the end :-(. but now i am splitting the cost with my parents and am getting a 1.8 g5 ...cant wait...!!!! though, i wont get for another year i think...anyway - a good game that i was just playing - http://www.miniclip.com/crypt/cryptraider.htm

Originally posted by pyroboy
Which would be too bad. If Apple came out with G5's across the board, it would really shake things up. Imagine if suddenly every Mac recently sold not only had a faster model, but a dramatically faster replacemnt. Any G4 or G3 owner would suddenly have a very good reason to upgrade.

The iBook will stay G3. They'll get the 750GX @ 1GHz at the SF MacWorld. The iBook's motherboard and components are probably really cheap now they have made >200K. They might want to look into getting the price down to about $700 - a sweet spot for schools. The iMac and PowerBook seem to always get the same CPU and about the same speeds. I think you'll see a new Powerbook at the Paris MacWorld with the new 7457. And since Motorola always seems to have problems producing CPUs. They'll propabably introduce the upgraded iMac in October to give Moto a chance to catch up to Apple demand. Just in time for the holidays.

he iBook will stay G3.

That would make sense. Upping the speeds of the G3 iBook and giving it some more features such as Bluetooth while lowering the price would bring more laptops sales. For most people the G3 would be wonderful and inexpensive. If they needed more power then they could jump to the 12" AlBook. One thing I would like to see Apple do is bring out the iBook in colors! White (Snow) is getting boring.

If Apple got the price of an iBook lower I would consider upgrading some of my iBook classics.

To get me to consider upgrading, Apple would have to hit the $750.00 price point, make the CD R/W standard, and run the speed up past a gig. I think that is doable.

Mark Fuller

Originally posted by kcwookie
To get me to consider upgrading, Apple would have to hit the $750.00 price point, make the CD R/W standard, and run the speed up past a gig. I think that is doable.

Mark Fuller

Well remember when IBM said the 750FX was available "up to 1GHz?" Never happened, so when they say up to 1.1 GHz, I think you'll see them introduce the GX-based iBook at 1GHz (or maybe a little faster to keep the rounding up with the frontside bus). With a 200 MHz front-side bus on a 100 MHz bus it's conceivable they'll be using 1600 DDR RAM. This would force their entire line to DDR, again making it cheaper. Heck of a marketing ploy .. 1 GHz at $699 educational ($799 for regular folks with a Combo).

your logic is flawed.

IBM said the 970 was available "up to 1.8GHz" in their tech specs but Apple released it at 2 (most likely to break the 2ghz barrier). Everyone says that the G5 requires massive cooling but it's actually cooler at the same clockspeeds. I agree that we wont see it in a consumer product for quite some time but if they wanted to, Apple could easily release the 2GHz at it's natural speed of 1.8 and put it in an iMac.

Boy, I'd love to be wrong. I'd really like to be on the wrong end of maybe a 1.5 GHz G3 upgrade. I do know the G3 probably won't get as much R&D as the G5 is currently getting and IBM's pursuit of a faster G3 for practically their single biggest customer may actually turn up the heat....a little. But the money they would be getting for it vs. the G5 would lead me to believe no. They've been working on and selling the G3 for, what, 5 years. Plenty of time to get it to the same clock speeds. My wife loves the iBook, I ordered her and yes I do hope I'm wrong.

The way I understand it, the iMac shape dissipates heat quite nicely. I'm sure there will be more G4 iMacs. However, I don't see why Apple wouldn't be able to put a G5 into the iMac.

Doug

spitty: There already is a poll. In the Café.

Steve Jobs should read this board so he can see what we the people think of Apple's decisions and policies. Until then, keep submitting your feedback to them in the hope that enough feedback will get things changing.

Originally posted by arden

Steve Jobs should read this board...

Maybe he does under an alias...ooo, i wonder what username Steve would use on a message board like this to keep his anonymity?

Back