new iPod, new iMac, PhotBooth

Hmm, Apple lowered the placement of the CD tray. I don't think this is a good idea, because now you have to look where you have to insert the cd/dvd. With the old iMac G5's it was at the top right corner, you always hit right.

bizarrely - if you look at the store...

you have to buy the remote and new dock separately. and the cost adds up...

hmm - in all honesty - as much as these are great new things i keep coming back to how they could have tied all these things together better. maybe that will come with the switch over to intel... all new mac forms and the maturity of what we see being released today.

kainjow said:
iMac's GPU is PCI-Express. First Mac to have PCI-Express or am I confused?

It's the first and a definite signal that the PowerMacs will be receiving PCI-Express video cards too. It's also using DDR2 memory, so the PMacs should get that too.

All I have to say....is wow!
So now... iSight built-in to iMacs means that they might build it into some portables in the future. (if they dont that is OK) - but if they do it is VAIO vs Powerbook)

We have a video iPod - can anyone say competition to MS Portable Media Center?

We have Front Row w/ Apple Remote - hmmmm... imagine a TV tuner from el Gato (or some other place) and you've got head to head competition with MS Media Center platform.

We've got iTunes 6 - with video downloads - hmmm.... competition to MS's unreleased IPtv!

Now if Apple makes stragetic partnerships with RIM, Palm, Motorola, SonyEricsson, Nokia (and possibly HTC) --- hehehehe über-center-of-my-media life :D

Not sure if anyone noticed, but if you build a new iMac 17" in the online store there's no price added to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB of RAM (2x512MB). From 512MB to 1.5GB (1x512mb, 1x1GB) is $180 and from 512MB to 2.5GB (1x512MB, 1x2GB) is $1080 ((OUCH!)). Typo maybe? The 512MB to 1GB is showing $90 on the 20" model.

-- Edit: Seems to only happen in the Education store. --

alexandr, try building a new iMac and you'll see the option for the external USB modem. (pic attached)

Attachments

• modemstep2lm.jpg
    modemstep2lm.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 7
Frontrow is to compete with the MS Media Center...man i really want a new iMac...fast processors as well, the 17" is at 1.9 Ghz, while the 20" is at 2.1Ghz for the PowerPC G5

the remote works with the new ipods and 3Gs, 2Gs, nanos, etc...

"The Apple Remote requires the iPod Universal Dock and any iPod with a Dock connector."

*rips out hair* Arg....

This was unexpected, and I just purchased an iMac G5 /two weeks/ ago.

Better video card, and Front Row. Ironically the rest of the improvements I don't care about, but dang. *pouts*

Krevinek said:
*rips out hair* Arg....

This was unexpected, and I just purchased an iMac G5 /two weeks/ ago.

Better video card, and Front Row. Ironically the rest of the improvements I don't care about, but dang. *pouts*

don't know what you are complaining about :p I bought mine 14 month ago and it's now technically miles away i.e. 3 generations of iMac g5 in such a short period of time :)

and looking at the swiss store the eMac faded away ....

The problem that I see (based on info on the Apple Store) with the new remote is that unless you have a new iMac (which it comes with), buying one for any other Mac only gives you iPod control if you get a dock/own one. Nothing else.

I dont see the point for me personally to buy one in that case. I'd have to spend $30 for a dock and $30 for the remote to do what my Tivo already does (play my iTunes, control volume of same).

Just have to wait until someone can clarify this. But it seems to me like the whole selling point of the remote was to control your DVDs, video playback, etc. Not just your iPod playing thru your Mac.

Back