new iPod, new iMac, PhotBooth

Wow, okay, there was speculation of the video iPod but I never thought it would actually happen! iPod dropped FireWire?! Why?! I only have USB 1 on my Mac...

As the for the iMac G5 update, I'm most happy to see the RAM go to 533MHz, more into PC territory. As for the rest, I'm surprised not to see a Powerbook/Power Mac update.

Krevinek said:
*rips out hair* Arg....

This was unexpected, and I just purchased an iMac G5 /two weeks/ ago.

Better video card, and Front Row. Ironically the rest of the improvements I don't care about, but dang. *pouts*

pack it up, back to the store, use your rights as a costumer! at least where i come from, you may give the thing back within 4 weeks, if "it doesn't fulfill your needs and expectations"..

you'll get a full refund, enough to finance a new one. easy peachy..

alex.

sorry - i think theres some confusion - what i meant was the in-line ipod remote - the ipod no longer supports its own in-line remote!!

the stand alone remote can be bought along with the new 'universal dock' to control the ipod should you have it hooked up to a tv / radio / etc.

apple need to release 'front row' as a stand alone app - although i can imagine that the next iteration of the OS will do that across the line of hardware.

right now the ipod is the media centre that sits by your tv.

i would still liked to have seen an 'export to ipod' feature in the likes of imovie / iphoto.

also - (and i dont know if this is a feature) - it would be great if the new ipod had a way of playing just the audio of a bought music video... if i knew that i could download the video for a little extra and have it play as normal (i.e. as just audio) with the rest of my library on my ipod then i would have more incentive for buying it. most of the time my ipod is in my pocket / plugged into my hifi - theres no need for the 'visuals' and they will eat up battery... so it would have been a cool option. when on a larger screen the video plays, when on the go - there is an option for just audio... no need to download a seperate audio track and video... more incentive to buy a video for its dual purpose...

Captain Code said:
"Desperate Housewives, Lost and more shows from ABC and Disney. Five shows will be available to watch on iPod or computer: Lost, Desperate Housewives, Nightstalker, The Suite Life and some other Disney thang. $1.99 an episode."

http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=594

I wonder if they'll sell the whole season for cheaper, because say for the whole 1st season of Lost, which is 25 episodes. That'd cost $50 USD + any taxes they may charge. That's pretty steep I think, especially when you can buy the DVD for $38.99 USD at Amazon.

Excellent, you can buy the whole season of Lost for $34.99

Also, it still seems that you can only buy the TV shows from the US store. At least, you can't buy them or even view them from the Canadian store :mad:

What's to stop people from putting their own full length movies and tv shows onto the iPod as long as they are in mpeg 4 or h.264? (crosses fingers and hopes the answer is "nothing").

Ryan: why would Apple not allow this? It allows normal MP3s onto your iPod now, so I would expect them to allow non-DRM'ed videos too.

I just watched the QuickTime stream of the event, and it appeared the Steve was using the iPod and that exact same iPod's screen/UI/everything was being outputted as video... I hope this is true, as I've heard tons of requests for this. This will let you do full presentations from your iPod by showing the UI of the iPod itself on TVs/projectors.

RyanLang - as far as i can see... nothing!

currently on the quicktime pages there is a bit of blurb trying to get people to pay for the upgrade to pro by saying something along the lines of 'create content for the new ipod'... so i'm guessing as long as its in the right format - and in itunes for syncing - there shouldnt be a problem.

would love for someone to try it. the larger iMac is looking good as a second tv replacement right now! coupled with the product from elgato i see no reason why you can't record an episode of 'the sopranos' for example - save it in the correct format - and carry it around with you on your ipod...

Bah.. I tried to preview a Pixar short film, but forgot I didn't have QT 7.0.3 installed... it played the audio but the video wasn't there...iTunes should at least warn you again.. first bug! :)

Did anyone notice that the iPod's battery life when playing video is either 2 or 3 hours depending on the model? Definitely a huge problem (one of several I guess, like screen size) for anyone thinking about using it as a movie player on long flights, better have (several!) battery backup. I'd think it'd have to be something that needs to be addressed before they launch an iTunes "video store".

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the (much, much larger) portable DVD players usually get?

Ripcord said:
Did anyone notice that the iPod's battery life when playing video is either 2 or 3 hours depending on the model? Definitely a huge problem (one of several I guess, like screen size) for anyone thinking about using it as a movie player on long flights, better have (several!) battery backup. I'd think it'd have to be something that needs to be addressed before they launch an iTunes "video store".

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the (much, much larger) portable DVD players usually get?

The ones I've seen are usually in the 2 to 6 hour range...depends. A lot of options out there to say for certain. My brother just bought an AMD based laptop that will play DVDs without the computer actually running...just powers the screen and DVD drive I guess. Supposed to get something like 3-4 hours like that (basically twice what it would get in normal mode).

If someone's downloading the movie to play on a regular TV, then it's pretty safe to bet on them utilizing the dock to do it (which would probably be running off a separate power source). That's also assuming everyone who downloaded movies planned on using an iPod to store and view them. I'd bet a large amount would use their computers (new iMac) or burn them to DVDs.

I like the new iMac. I'm a little concerned about having a camera built in, though. Is there any way to tilt and turn it? Because if it just points straight ahead, that's not going to work. The top my monitor is above my eye level. This needs to accomodate different desks (not to mention different people with different heights). They don't mention anything about angles on Apple's site as far as I can tell. Does anyone know any specifics? I'm sure Apple considered all this, but I'd like to know.

And obviously a camera is infinitely more useful if you can move it around. It seems like a huge waste of potential to bolt it onto a big monitor. But hey, better than nothing, I guess.

And while I don't personally mind the exclusion of a 56k modem, I'm sure a lot of people will be very annoyed. That's something you just expect to be included. But they have to go the way of the floppy drive eventually, I suppose.

What DOES bother me is the external modem. 50 freakin' dollars?? The last 56k modem I bought only cost $30 — and that was eight years ago. I just can't understand how such a thing can be that expensive. Anyone who does need one is going to feel like they're being slapped in the face.

If you look at any ergonomics tips, they state that the top of the monitor should be on your eye-level, so the camera's in the right position, anyway. And if you don't want it to take any pictures, use a PostIt. ;)

About the modem: I think Apple's interest in analog-modem internet connections is waning. They _give_ you the option, but they don't want to urge people to use that. They've learned that much of their money is going to be made with services via the internet, and those require broadband. This TV show thing? If it takes off, we're going to see a LOT of shows offered in iTMS, and probably at higher quality, too, some day. Higher quality, of course, means even bigger downloads. But even now: 200 MB is quite a bit for a 56K modem, isn't it.

mdnky said:
That's also assuming everyone who downloaded movies planned on using an iPod to store and view them. I'd bet a large amount would use their computers (new iMac) or burn them to DVDs.

Well if you had the new Quicktime Pro for 7.0.3 there is something new in the Export movie function. It says "Movie to iPod".

senne said:
"Even when it’s sleeping, iMac thinks about what’s best for you. In low-light environments, a sensor detects the room’s ambient light and adjusts the sleep light to match — so you and your iMac G5 can both catch some Zs."

that was in iMac G5 Rev B. they're called in some circles (to clarify) 'the light sensor imacs'.

can confirm that in switzerland eMac is not available for retail anymore but still available for the education market. On the other hand I've seen many retailers promoting the mini with interesting discounts, my guess is that Apple will be less discreet with the new specs and will push the mini for private individuals. As far as I can remember when the eMac came out in Siwtzerland it was not available to public either so it's going back to were it belongs the education market.

I also think the eMac's sales were dropping with the Mac mini. Probably just a consequence that it's not being sold to consumers anymore. Also: This pushes the iMac, of course.

ok - here's a thought...

if the new imac could truly become a living room tv replacement - will we see a black imac? - i think it would look pretty great...

There's a theme, eh? :) First the nano, then the iPod, then the iMac? Wow. Let's see. How about a 42" black iMac? with THREE DVD drives on the right side? :) Oh well, I don't think that you could still really use that as a computer. Too big to sit in front of... ;)

no no - just a current black imac! (ok ok - give it tv out too) ;)

though it would be a 'complete' media centre then - and i think apple are still in two minds regarding a fully fledged MC - although the road map for all this new tech / media tie-ups / etc looks very promising...

i can imagine steve jobs phone will be ringing off the hook today as broadcasters look at ways of gettign on board. like he said - "the hardest step is the first step" - and apple / disney took that first step yesterday. i remember when itms was launched - and it was pretty bare for music! - today its the first port of call for purchading new music. 5 shows today - come this time next year there'll be a drop down for specific tv channels... a tv guide - click on the show - and download it... subscribe to a show like you do with podcasts etc etc etc...

this morning on bbc breakfast - they talked about apple being able to become almost like 'sky' (and the bbc offering its shows for free / channel four about to stream its content for free on the web) - i think maybe they'll be able to do away with the traditional broadcast method and offering a bespoke tv channel... built by the user... pay a monthly subscription as you do now / or per show...

with much of the uk now getting faster and faster broadband - possibilities for this seem amazing.

we just need some good uk content!!!! :rolleyes: ::ha::

Back