New itunes promotions

mi5moav

Registered
So, what do you all think Apple has up their sleeves now? Hopefully, they won't let this feeding frenzy die down to much before they throw some more wood on the fire. Right now they are probably averaging about 100 songs downloaded a minute compared to an average of about 3 to 4 times that during the promotions. So, even if they did continue giving away a free ipod every 100,000 songs or a free song every 1,000 songs it would be well worth it. But what other things could they do to spice of the pod life?

It's my birthday today, I am sure Apple made a mistake by selecting this person instead of me... I call a recount... Al-Gore style!

They could reply to my question about how I get to download the song I paid for, that didn't download, without me having to pay for it again (like I did last time a download arsed up).

lnoelstorr said:
They could reply to my question about how I get to download the song I paid for, that didn't download, without me having to pay for it again (like I did last time a download arsed up).

Have you tried going to the Advanced menu and selecting "Check for purchased music..." ?

Yeah, when the download failed it said to do that.

iTunes was not responding to any input at the time so I had to force it to quit.

When I restarted it I checked for purchased music and it told me all music had been downloaded. There were however TWO tracks missing from the album I'd been downloading, I located one on my hard-drive (it just hadn't been added to the library for some reason), there was no sign of the other though.

I've already had to re-pay for one song which iTunes said had downloaded, but the file was incomplete (this one had been caused by the connection to the network drive where I store my music failing during the download).

I'm not all that impressed. Having to pay for tracks again pretty much wipes out any price difference between the downloaded version and a shop bought CD.

Why you can't just re-download music you've paid for anyway (seeing as it keeps track of it) is just beyond me.

:(

That must feel like a bitter pill to swallow. Sorry to hear you're having a bad experience with.

:(

If the download was incomplete, you can check for purchased music and it'll resume and complete.
And if something catastrophic happens, Apple will let you re-download something you've already purchased.

Randman said:
If the download was incomplete, you can check for purchased music and it'll resume and complete.
It didn't.

And if something catastrophic happens, Apple will let you re-download something you've already purchased.
They haven't replied to me yet.

I have had that happen twice. I have a feeling it was due to a bad connection on my end but may have been due to problems on Apple's end. Either way within 24 hours I was able to download the two entire albums without any problem. Last year while using Itunes my friend accidentaly purchased a song on my computer while she was looking at itunes(she had a pc) I had been using the one click song purchase(little scarry when you don't know what your doing since you can purchase a song without even clicking on buy song) So, I called Apple up and after a while they credited me the 99 cents. Again, that was last year so things probably have gotten a bit busier but they should be able to help you out if you purchased the song and it's actually on a credit card you can call the credit card company up and say, hey never got the product.

I've had that happen twice to me as well. The second time let me redownload the song in its entirety without having to pay again. This was a week ago.

I was going to try and download a few songs and time it just right (like most of you I'm sure) to have a shot at winning, but I blinked my eyes and they hit 100 mill. That thing was screaming towards the end.

lnoelstorr said:
Why you can't just re-download music you've paid for anyway (seeing as it keeps track of it) is just beyond me.

Probably for the same reason you can't go back to the music store and get a fresh CD of one you already purchased but lost.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Probably for the same reason you can't go back to the music store and get a fresh CD of one you already purchased but lost.
Surely losing a CD and having a download fail to complete are different?

Yes, two completely different things. I was referring to those that suggest that Apple should allow you to download a song as many times as you want to as long as you've purchased it. That's like giving someone as many copies of a CD as they want if they purchase it once -- ain't gonna happen. CDs cost money to press, and digital files cost money to distribute (bandwidth).

If you get a broken CD, you take it back and they replace it. If a download fails, you contact Apple and they authorize you to download it again. It only takes half a day or so by email -- even quicker if you call them.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Yes, two completely different things. I was referring to those that suggest that Apple should allow you to download a song as many times as you want to as long as you've purchased it. That's like giving someone as many copies of a CD as they want if they purchase it once -- ain't gonna happen. CDs cost money to press, and digital files cost money to distribute (bandwidth).

The difference is - of they give you unlimited CDs, there is nothing stopping you just giving all these CDs to other people. With the downloaded files, the DRM prevents you doing the same thing (plus, there would be no point you downloading more tracks to do this as you could just copy the one you had).

Being able to redownload lost files would give iTMS an advantage over buying a CD in physical format. Just because you can't do it with CDs doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do it with downloads. They're two completely different things.

At the moment a lot of people don't think iTMS is really worth while, the price isn't that great compared to CDs, Apple should be offering as many incetives as they can, at the moment the no re-download thing is something that puts a lot of people off as they're a lot more confident that they won't lose a physical CD than they are that they won't lose a file.

If a download fails, you contact Apple and they authorize you to download it again. It only takes half a day or so by email.

Make that over a week and still waiting.

The problem is, if you can download the one song as many times as you like, (to the best of my knowledge) you could easily circumvent the "three computers" FairPlay DRM by just downloading it again on a fourth, fifth, or sixtieth computer. Not to mention that by allowing you to download the same file over and over, they aren't able to reclaim their bandwidth costs from the song purchase price.

Yes, it can be done... You can also deautharize you computer and reauthorize and keep copying. Most people just want their music. The funny thing is that I used to use hotline way back when and got the stuff for free and didn't mind making a copy since I didn't pay for it. Now that I actually buy the stuff off of itunes I don't copy it for my friends. When you actually own something and buy it you feel different about the product... you become selfish... but that is how it works. I remember my grandfather telling me when I was 12 years old that it makes him so sick when he sees lazy people not working at his factory. They were basically stealing him blind. I understood it but couldn't feel how he felt until you put all your time and money into your own business and then watch people do nothing. You pay them and they waste time, or steal things and what not. They think that someone other than myself is going to pay for it or some thing... who the hells pocket is it coming from.

So, the hundred bucks of music or so i've downloaded off itunes probably will stay in my possession and I could care less of copying and recopying and honestly I probably will never burn a CD more than they ever give me permission to do so. Heck my brother has probably downloaded 2500 bucks worth of songs off itunes and has yet to burn one onto a CD. He has his 3 ipods that he syncs his different playlists up to.

Back