New Mac purchase

I upgraded my 20" Cinema Display by putting one of the previously mentioned 2005FPW next to it. the screens are so very similar, but do required colour syncing, as they both use different standards. however, my main observation is that two monitors seems to be... well... useless... i mean, it doesn't offer any greater working space in any monitor, so you don't get a greater workspace, although, you can stick msn and iTunes and safari in the other screen.

i'd go for the dell 24" widescreen, which is similar to apples 23", but cheaper, and doesn't suffer from much-mentioned subtle colour fluxuations, but you mentioned you spot colour check anyway. in that case i'd go with the 23" apple.

IMG_3018.jpg

I am not sure that I understand why you say that it doesn't add any great amount of workspace.
Would it not double the amount of space you have?
Why would you choose the 23" Apple over the 24" Dell when I spot check on paper, anyway?
I do a lot with hot folders, with Distilling, with moving files around and burning and such - I think it would be useful to have all these windows open on one monitor - and have my tools/palettes over there, as well. Is this not true for you?

tools and pallettes stay on thew main window... because it's a bugger to move them and find them in the new screen. it was my theory as well to keep pallettes there too, but it's just not practical on widescreens.

by no increase, i mean, you can't fit any more on either screen, just spread it across two. you still stick to the one app per window thing, or at least i still do. a page of A3 in illustrator is the same size and detail whether you have one 20" or two. it's ever so slightly less than 100%, wheras on a 23" you can see the entire a3 document at 100% and more. it's a lot more space, and with exposé anyway, the screen clutter thing isn't a problem any more.

i only really have it because it didn't cost me anything to upgrade, and was a worthwhile investmant for that price.

and i would choose the 23" apple over the 24 dell because they both have the same resolution (1920x1200) but the apple one is apple, wheras the dell one is cheap tacky plastic. the apple one is elegant, and takes up a minimal amount of space, whears the dell has a much bigger footprint and many extra features you will never use.

i see this is an old thread, but i'm looking to get a new system. my home system is rather old, and I have no idea how i managed to hold out so long. I do freelance at home, so i need a system that can get the work done, and my old G4 has seen better days.

I tested the mac mini, it is fast enough for what i want, but working in Roseta proves to be a problem with the play back of Flash elements. Currently I'll use my PC laptop to edit my Flash pieces.

I'm torn between a MacBook Pro that will stay home 90% of the time and a Mini. They both have pros and cons. I'm trying to wait for the desktops but it's at the point where I need to make a purchase. There's always something new, I can always get a desktop later, I'll figure out something to do with the mini, or macbook. just picking which to get is my problem.

Back