New - MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion

sgould

Registered
I have got my new MacBook Pro up and running.

But there are two small things that I want to do and can't find the right box to tick in preferences. I know I ticked them when I upgraded the old machine to Lion.

First is to turn off the auto correct on typing. I don't need it on the computer.

Second is to get the Macintosh HD icon on the Desktop.

Where are the places to look? Or does Mountain Lion remove the choice?

I found the "show hard disc on desktop" !! In the Finder preferences. I thought I'd looked there.... :rolleyes:

Found the way to turn off auto correct! :)

Sys Prefs. Language & Text. Untick box. Looked there before too. Must be getting senile.... :rolleyes:

sgould,

Head my words. DON'T Use Mail to make new email accounts! Apple is trying to make using Mail easier so making new email accounts in 10.8 should be made in System Preferences->Mail, Contacts & Calendars using the + sign to add a new email account. I know this is strange but using the System Preference pane makes Mail behave. I found that out the hard way.

Plus really consider getting a free iCloud account in System Preferences->iCloud pane. IMHO Apple will be updating iCloud in 10.9.x and it will be integrated more deeply into OS X.

I have an iCloud account. It was automatically created when Mobile Me was withdrawn. The iCloud Mail part was set up automatically when I set up the new laptop, but only the iCloud/me/mac addresses. Thanks for the tip on using the SysPrefs for adding my other accounts. Getting Mail fully functional was the next step.

I decided to start this laptop from scratch rather than use Migration Assistant from the old one. Too many old things and "oddities" had crept in to that one!!

Back