New powerbooks & their CDs

Jamesrdorn

Registered
I just purchased a powerbook 12"... needless to say i droped it and broke the screen and other parts just 48 hours later. So... I baught another one, this time I am at a Travel Centers of America branch in Ontario, CA. The wireless signal keeps going up and down and up and down and... well you get the point (about once every 2 min this happends). The guy for the tech help says there are users that have been logged in for more than 2 hours. says it's my computer. I dont know the knowlege behind this guy because he thinks the signal drops because "you might have a firewall turned on". But... there have been other users on for a while...

So... naturally I am worried about this new powerbook, so I go to find the 'Hardware Test CD'. I do not find it in any of the two powerbook boxes I have. I have 2 DVDs in there 'System Restore' & 'Software Restore'. Anyone know why they are not shipping these anylonger? or mabe there is a new way to access this feature? Please help. Thanks

Yes, the Apple Hardware Test is likely on the 'System Restore' DVD. If you look closely at the label, you'll see it. Just put the DVD in your drive, and restart while holding the Option key. When you see the blue screen with the arrows, wait for all the icons to come up (may take a minute of two), then click on the Hardware Test, and then click on the 'right-facing' arrow (you'll see that, too) and your system should boot to the Hardware Test.
I think you should start first, before that test (which won't tell you much except that the Airport card is installed) - try reseating the Airport card in its slot, and checking that the antenna is firmly seated on the Airport card. If you're not sure how to do that, then take it to someone who will know what to do. This would be a good time to find your local Apple Store. Good Luck!

not sure, but you may have to specifically "name" the network you are trying to join. I was setting up the wireless network here at the house (using a belkin router, not an apple :( ) and experienced the same up and down network thing. I am guessing the "up" is the network pinging your computer, and the down is the network saying "sorry, you dont have access!"

I could be wrong though, so no flaming please

Back