167MHz System Bus
2.0GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
120GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive & Combo drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
56K internal modem

Shipping in 6-8 weeks

I'm impressed! :D

If by "ugly" you meant that the machine isn't suitable to even sit under my desk, then you'd be correct.

If by "ugly" you meant that this machine would be a complete waste of money because the specs are just too little too late, then you'd be correct.

I doubt we'll see people lined up to buy this beast. :rolleyes:

Actually I think I'm buying one, but that's just because I don't have a mac anymore and I was looking forward to this new release.

Now is the lowend one faster than the "old" dual gig? I mean does the ram mean that much?

Originally posted by Paragon
Now is the lowend one faster than the "old" dual gig? I mean does the ram mean that much?

I guess it will "feel" faster, but in pure processing power it's a little bit slower.

Hhmmm...I thought so.

So is it worth it to put down the extra $ to go for the next in the line. How much faster would it be?

Depends on what your current machine is. But consider that for $129 to upgrade to Jaguar, you can see a signficant performance boost in any OS X-capable machine.

Is it worth $1700 to ante in when in all likelihood, G5-based pro desktops may only be 5 months away? Heck, you don't even get things like USB 2.0, 800 Mbits/sec FireWire, 54 Mbits/sec wireless or integrated Bluetooth in the current machines - all of which has more than an even chance of being standardized by 2003.

Allright, this is what I've been wanting to know, and I STILL cant figure it out, can someone confirm, with evidence ?

Is the DDR on this machine a Hack a La Xserve, or is it "FULL" DDR ?

according to maccentral it is 'full' DDR-SDRAM. buy the new 1 GHz machine. it'll give you a DVD-RW, too. but yes, the DDR-SDRAM _will_ have an impact, although maybe not that much, so an 'old' GHz dual might be faster than the new 867 still.

so the new dual 867 has the exact same setup as the xserve?

...so howcome they put in a ram type that supports 266 but their bus only supports 133? Is their going to be a feature to bump up the bus to 266 like on a pc (is that what they are doing on pc's?)

Although the DP 867 does have DDR RAM, which is an improvement over the previous 1ghz DP QuickSilver, I believe the 1ghz DP QS had 2MB cache for each processor, whereas the 867DP only has 1MB cache.

Overall, I doubt the low end 867DP is overall faster than the 1ghz DP QS was. It's probably close, but I'd still probably give the edge to the QS...Backside cache means a lot in real world performance. It's one of the main reasons why Macs have remained competitive, while getting their clocks cleaned in the mhz race....

WOW! They did it again. All DP, DDR SDRAM, up to 4 Internal HD.

Can we get PC people to be quiet about "Dual Intel or AMD's are better", or even "PC are better"?

My favorite image from the new PM so far:
indexdualoptical08132002.jpg

So shiny...

Also, are Apple and ATI "happy" again? I thought that they were in some disagreement on Graphics Cards.

But, on the chart, nothing can beat the NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti :D.

Well I think I'm getting the dual gig, although I think the dual 867 is like getting an "old" dual gig for half the price.

I just think that the dual gig have a longer life-span.

What do you think?

Originally posted by themacko
holy shi*t it's hideous!!

;)

I know I've been saying that since I saw the SpyMac pics. It's like take all the scrap they had laying around slapped it all together.
The specs and the duallies all around just smells of a stopgap system.
I may get the low-end one once I get rid of the PowerMac 800 I bought last month. Ebay here I come.

The problem with the new line is of course that the mhz offerings suck, but moreso, the pricing seems out of whack. $5,000 for that top-of-the-line machine? Who's going to buy that?

Also, what on earth would you need a SuperDrive AND a ComboDrive for? The only thing useful/justifying a larger price tag is the graphics card.

Back