New PowerMacs released!

isen't that because they use 133 MHz x 4 on their bus?
yeah it is so just like the dual processors give performance boosts on 'some' applications, this would seem like our 133 bus unless it was multithreaded in the right way.

Hey, who's bright idea was it to name this thread the same as the fake one that was a week or two ago. I very nearly skipped over it and wouldn't have known there was new PM's till much later in the day. What a tragedy that would be.

Looks like a true Frankenmac to me. ;)

Completely fugly... However a Dual machine is sounding real nice right now...

looks like the engeneres that designed the mobo of the new dual's are the ones that designed the case, was that bald french dude on vacation or wut ?

case: :(
Mobo/cpu: Sweet :)

and hey 166Mhz (333) buss is better than most 133Mhz(266) bus most pc are running right now
and even the future ddr 400 (200Mhz buss)mem beat intels 1000+MHz rambus mem

instead of putting a superdrive n a combo drive, they should have put a supurdrive n a fast 40x burner, ever since apple started putting in burners in thir macs , they have always chosen the slowest they could find , how lame :(

I think they wanted to give it a souped up look of a muscle car from the 60's and 70's. Stick a chrome SS on there somewhere and that's what you'll have.

Yup, Apple has misunderstood the principle of having two drive bays. Haha, what the heck would the point of having both a superdrive and a combo drive be? Burn a CD while watching a DVD, or watching 2 DVDs simultaniously? :p

It's no real problem, you can just install a fast CD burner or reader yourself, but still... :rolleyes:

Dammit. Less than a year of having my G4 867 it's almost antiquated? Granted it has 896 megs of RAM and a SuperDrive, but still. Ack.

Originally posted by ksv
Yup, Apple has misunderstood the principle of having two drive bays. Haha, what the heck would the point of having both a superdrive and a combo drive be? Burn a CD while watching a DVD, or watching 2 DVDs simultaniously? :p
I'm wondering about this too. With the new 2 optical drives, insert a CD-ROM and burn an exact copy real-time or something? That would be nice… no copying a disc image to the HD.

Originally posted by ksv

It's no real problem, you can just install a fast CD burner or reader yourself, but still... :rolleyes:

What? Am I the only one who burns multiple CDs at the same time? Or even does a straight copy from a 2nd CDrom drive?
And the idea to be watching a Movie while a friend comes over to make a CD for him - it'd be a bugger to have to stop the movie completly instea of pausing it, start the burn process and resume the movie...

Anyway, the company I work for has CANCLED the XServe and we're getting the new Frankenmac - err I mean PowerMac :)
And yeah - we're getting BOTH a SuperDrive _AND_ a ComboDrive. :p

Originally posted by Tormente

What? Am I the only one who burns multiple CDs at the same time? Or even does a straight copy from a 2nd CDrom drive?
And the idea to be watching a Movie while a friend comes over to make a CD for him - it'd be a bugger to have to stop the movie completly instea of pausing it, start the burn process and resume the movie...

Anyway, the company I work for has CANCLED the XServe and we're getting the new Frankenmac - err I mean PowerMac :)
And yeah - we're getting BOTH a SuperDrive _AND_ a ComboDrive. :p

Well, OK, But I'd rather put a fast CD burner or DVD-ROM in the other bay than having two dog-slow drives ;)

I have to say that I'm disappointed in Apple's latest offerings. While they are an improvement over previous hardware, the MEGAHURTS MYTH parallels Motorola's work ethic and motivation for better R & D. Let's face it folks, until Apple can get those brand spankin' new IBM 64-bit PowerPC POWER4 variant's in our Power Macs (sorry, link not available, I'm too lazy to go find it), "there ain't gonna be nothin' new under the sun for a while". And 5 GRAND!!! for the top-of-the-line!!??? With 167 MEGAHURTS system bus!!??? Isn't Intel at, like, 400MHz? What's $teve been $mokin'? What is his source of cannabinoids?

MOSR has a very detailed review of the ACTUAL throughput of the system.
From Mac OS Rumors(http://www.macosrumors.com/):
The new 1.25GHz chips are, unfortunately, just upclocked PowerPC 7455 processors, not the PPC 7470s hoped for by the grapevine. This is a dangerous flaw, because the PPC 7455 cannot take advantage of DDR memory -- as on the Xserve, the new PowerMacs will be limited to 1.3GB/s actual processor bandwidth despite 2.7GB/s memory bandwidth on the two high-end models.

The latest specs don't justify the ex$pen$ive price tag. I don't know about you, but I'm waiting until the 64-bit PowerPC PowerMacs are introduced. These latest systems echo Apple's recent comments about the G4 "having legs". These systems will get Apple by for a little while, until Motorola can get the shiny, black, hard, steel-toed boot (square brass pointy-edged buckle included).

no zip?
icon13.gif

edit: ment to be a thumbs down

What most people don't know (my apple sales rep told me) is that internal zip drives aren't even an option with the new dual processor G4s. Quote: "3rd-party vendors will be offering internal zip drive kits."

Come on Apple! Your customers are mostly education and they do a lot of work at home. Most of those professors don't have cd-burners, but do have zip drives.... I don't want a bunch of external drives with cables hanging all over the desk in my computer labs. The "digital hub" is a nice idea, but tons of cables lying on a desk looks terrible.

Look at the inside of the current G4s. There is a HUGE space for a second optical (CD/Superdrive/DVD/etc) if they just do a little bug of reengineering. Not like the crap in the G4s they will ship.

Move the mounting bracket for the power supply so that it isn't connected to the CDROM drive. Get rid of the outward curve on the top of the front panel and make it flat to accomodate the 2nd optical drive (put a slot there of course). Then you have room to add a 2nd optical drive and still have the internal zip drive.

Come on Apple, use some damned human engineering and customer input into your designs! I bought a plextor 40x burner and had no place to put it other than where my existing dvd/cd-RW was. There is a huge space above it unutilized. Why do you want to waste that space by moving the internal speaker there?

Damn, I wish I had Steve Jobs' home number so I could give him my input.

GIVE US BACK OUR ZIPS!!! The students need them.

Buy a portable Zip, 1 USB lead and no power supply, + the fact they are er... portable.

To say the new G4's suck 'cause they don't accomodate a zip drive in an easy manner is just too strong IMO;)

You're missing my point uoba. I don't want a bunch of external media and its cabling in my labs. Besides the additional theft factor, it looks like hell and introduces one more factor into the reliability of the products. The more connections you have, the more chances of problems you will see.

Apple did not have to eliminate the 3 1/2" zip bay. Minor modifications to the front of the case and moving one metal bracket would have allowed them to have two optical drives and still have the zip drive bay.

i agree with uoba. zip is really a second rate format for almost everything these days. burning cd's are much cheaper than zip disk. and much more reliable. much easier to transport. it may take a few extra seconds to burn than to drag and drop but all the other advantages outweigh that. not to mention how i feel about supporting iomega in general as their products are &%*#&@!!!

profs need to move with the times just like everybody else. i know it's hard to teach the teacher new tricks, but this is one that is so easy that even a high school student could figure out.

maybe you would like to campaign for the return of a floppy drive too while you're at it.

that being said, i think the concept of allowing optimal expandability is a worthwhile point. on the other hand, there are plenty of ways to minimize the cord mess that was mentioned.

Back