new ram, error code on logic board, help!

agh98

Registered
Well, Santa brought some nice presents... a second 17" lcd for my G5 Dual 2.0 and 1 gig of crucial ram.
BUT, there were some problems....
First, installed the ram in bank two (in pairs). Crucial #CT6464Z40B dims...rebooted, no obvious problems. BUT, Image Capture wouldn't work and the system load was up high.
So, I ran the system test off the CD. 11 seconds into the logic board test I get error:
2CPU/10/9:CPU0.
I take out the ram, use just the original 512 MB and the error still happens (but the system runs better).
Seems that my logic board/CPU is damaged? This could have all been pre-ram installation but who knows.
I assume I should return the RAM, take the G5 into the store? Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? I'm afraid of getting the machine back fixed and then sticking this ram back in and possibly causing a problem. I was very careful about static discharge and I don't want to tell the "geniuses" that I was installing RAM when I noticed the problem...they'll probably blame it on me.

adam

Yes, you are correct. That error points to the CPU0, which is your upper CPU. It is unlikely that installing RAM caused a problem in the CPU - it was probably already failing. The error is also possibly the logic board. You can choose to not mention the memory upgrade, as that should not cause the problem directly, and is a customer-installable part. If your system is in warranty, then an Apple service provider will be your best bet. If not in warranty, then get ready to spend some money for processor/logic board. An Apple service provider will be able to run more sophisticated diagnostics than the Apple Hardware Test that ships with your system.

I just purchased the dual 2.0 in July so I'm within warranty (and will buy applecare before my 1 year runs out). I think something definitely is wrong with the logic board at least because my front firewire port doesn't seem to be working either (with my ipod at least).
Looks like I'll be dropping off my baby for a few days to get looked at.
Thanks a lot for your insight.

adam

Back