New Re-designed Displays

Beat me to it!

Half the reason I haven't purchased a G5 is the displays. I want one that matches and is possibly huge! ;)

2560 x 1600.. I think you will need a very good graphic card. Not just because of the resolution, but also for all those opengl apps. I mean, for every single pixel on a 1024x768 screen, you will need to calculate 5 pixels more. And would there be any need of antialiasing? ;)
And you can display a full 4mpixel pic. WOW!
Hey, I just realised the screen will be as big as my tv which is not the smallest. Oh dear, let it cost less than 2000Euro! Peeelease

Thoughts on the possible move to DVI and the loss of the excellent "one-cable solution" for power, video and usb?

To drive the power for such a display only makes sense. Also, it probably will cut the costs of producing the models since 99% of the graphics cards made use DVI. The main difference then between the Apple graphics cards and the equivalent PC cards is the ROM, which isn't much.
Overall, a very good move in the long run.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
30 inches of desktop. 30 inches of DVD. 30 inches of games. I think I just messed my pants.

id have to say the same :)

i only hope it doesnt cost more than 3000-4000 euros :)

Pengu said:
Thoughts on the possible move to DVI and the loss of the excellent "one-cable solution" for power, video and usb?

The move to DVI is a small step backwards

30" is a GIANT step forward!

If the design on the Think Secret site is correct, How do I put it on the top shelf of my desk and slide my TiPB under it like i do with my 20" display?

garymum4d said:
<Snip>

On the contrary, this benefits all of us. The new ATI card with the ADC port is 33% more expensive because of the port.
So what, another cable, I'm used to that with all the firewire drives, iPod, etc linked to my mac.
This might even help increase the amount of choices we have with video cards.
Besides, powering a 30" display through that port would require more from the mac itself.

think secret isn't exactly the best rumor site.

their image seems too ugly to be true. i could imagine something like dell do their sketches, but it looks really un-apple.

and "bye adc"? i'm thinking developers stuff when i hear adc, not monitors.

Giaguara said:
think secret isn't exactly the best rumor site.

their image seems too ugly to be true. i could imagine something like dell do their sketches, but it looks really un-apple.

and "bye adc"? i'm thinking developers stuff when i hear adc, not monitors.
I agree, I think the image looks bad, but if true, the monitors should match the G5 in terms of the color, and material.
However, I don't feel that apple is ready to do away with the 17" just yet. Especially in the event they ever do release a headless xMac. But they use a 17" on their iMac still, and could easily keep a 17" stand alone.

garymum4d said:

I'll be able to use a widescreen Apple display with my PC and my Powerbook without the need of adapters and such. The ADC was a cool idea because of how it reduced cables, but at the same time, I like to see Apple heading more towards industry standards.

Now we just need Apple to use standard PC graphics cards...

btoth said:
I like to see Apple heading more towards industry standards.

Now we just need Apple to use standard PC graphics cards...

do you mean industry standards like windows XP and Pentium processors.....

What happened to Think Different!

Back