New security Update

it was quite big (for a security update). no problem with it. but who knows, maybe the family next door have from day one been secretly able to read all the boring university papers i got on my computer but this update prevents them from doing that. :-D

its funny how at cnet.news.com a Mac OS X security update is Allways mentioned immediately and somewhere at the top so its visible. Hardware updates on the other hand may not even be mentioned sometimes:)

this would be logical for a site at OSnews.com ... but with cnet, i dont know, they just give me the idea that they dont like macs :p

It also might be that you check c|net more quickly for security updates than hardware updates? ;-)

fryke said:
It also might be that you check c|net more quickly for security updates than hardware updates? ;-)

actually no, ive made a tab folder in safari and made in an autotab for Tech news, together with many other sites.
its a tab i check on many many times a day, whether im in class at the university, or at home ...

and i would say that cnet has allways been negative bout macs and the macosx. of course they dare not say anythin negative bout the iPod at this point :)

soulseek said:
actually no, ive made a tab folder in safari and made in an autotab for Tech news, together with many other sites.
its a tab i check on many many times a day, whether im in class at the university, or at home ...

Ahem.... if you're in class shouldn't you be paying attention to whatever is going on? :)

Which reminds me of Phil Schiller's remark about parental control in Safari 2.0: "It prevents your parents from surfing the web." ;-)

But back on the topic of c|net: I've read their remark about this security update, and they _do_ seem to want to emphasize the gravity of the issue... Although I still haven't seen one of the security issues solved by this update exploited in the wild...

If you want biased reporting or flame fests, head on over to OSNews at the moment. The article where David Coursey advocates Linux users to switch to Macs has caused a lot of the anti-mac zealots to come out and whine. Most of them have no clue whatsoever.

There's post on various forums about problems after installing this update. Think I'll wait for Tiger.

Erh, bobw: You'll stay insecure for the next ten months until Tiger is released?! That's almost like switching to Windows for the time being. ;-)

dont worry bob. u wont have any problems ever.

except if u move to longhorn by the year 2010 like fryky boy here is so eager to do :p

Be assured that I wouldn't do that. Although I, like many others, will surely give the next big Microsoft OS upgrade a spin. Not to _use_ it, mind you, but we all want to know what _exactly_ MS does to Apple's ides, don't we. ;-)

I just want to emphasize that I haven't yet had any troubles with Apple's security updates, and I find _not_ installing important security updates a security issue per se.

Viro said:
If you want biased reporting or flame fests, head on over to OSNews at the moment. The article where David Coursey advocates Linux users to switch to Macs has caused a lot of the anti-mac zealots to come out and whine. Most of them have no clue whatsoever.

i had read the article, but hadnt read the comments.
200 comments, wow, thats a lot of ppl gettin pissed off:p

anyways, ive seen such threads over there many many times.
and ive noticed 1 common detail. MANY of the Wintel or Linux lovers post huge answers where they have a very detailed list of cheaper PCs that u can buy in comparison to the mac.

so if ur a pc user, thinking of buyin a new computer then go ahead and read some of those posts. those losers have done all the work for you, all you have to do is go ahead and choose the cheapest PC that suites u :p

only dont come cryin after a few days if somethin is not workin, or ure formattin cause of any hot new virus around :p

Back