New spec Ti G4 powerbooks

HOLY CRAP! I WANT ONE! :(

The new L3 cache is nice, the Radeon 7500 kicks the crap outta my small 16 meg one, oh well, I've had this one for 6 months, and I'm happy. :)

The screen resolution of 1280*864 lets me envy it... But other than that, I'm still happy about my own TiBook... I'll get the next revision, I guess...

top spec for new ti powerbooks

800MHz PowerPC G4
1MB L3 & 256K L2 cache
133MHz system bus
1GB SDRAM memory
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
w/32MB DDR video memory
Gigabit Ethernet
56K internal modem
1 FireWire & 2 USB Ports
AirPort Card Included

WOW that's fast

I have my PB667 just 1 month over!!! Oh well, I don't care. It's fast and I have a 17" LCD already! :) Also, my bf paid for me! LOL

Is it me or has the 667 retained the price is was when it was the top range, and the 800mhz version are way tooooo expensive. I definately can't afford one now! Oh well, best get the iMac then!

Yeah i think they're around that. i know that the 550MHz( low spec one, before the power increase) one was £1699 and now the the low spec one is £1849. I am buying a mac at the end of July was thinking about either a powerbook or an iMac but it looks like it will be and iMac now.

They're even more expensive than that, this is what MacUser.co.uk say:

At the entry level is a 667MHz PowerBook with 256MB RAM, a 30GB hard disk and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive, selling for £2,149 (ex. VAT).

The mid-range 800MHz machine has 512MB RAM, a 40GB hard disk and a built-in AirPort wireless networking card, selling for £2,748.99.

The top-of-the-range 800MHz model has 1GB RAM, a 60GB hard disk and a built-in AirPort card, selling for £3,259.

:( :( :(

well everything is relative isn't it voice

old price
£1999 inc VAT (1699 ex)

new price
£2149 inc VAT (£1828 ex)

Originally posted by frgee
what's the difference between L2 and L3 cache?

Level 3 cache is further away from the chip than the L2 cache, and slower, but it still makes the processor munch on more faster :)

don't you understand that a superdrive is really big? they can't just pop a superdrive in there. It bothers me to see people who call themselves true mac fans say things like this. If you were really into this stuff, you'd know that you can't pop a superdrive into a tibook. For example, go back to january's keynote and listen to steve talk about the new ibooks. He is asking people "what should we do with the high end model" (right before he annouces 14.1 inch ibook) and someone screams SUPERDRIVE! That just baffles me that morons like that get to go to macworld and i don't (haha). Every true mac fan should know that G3's can't handle the encoding to mpeg2 time and that an ibook and tibook can't hold a superdrive at this point.:rolleyes:

Hey, relax. I'm just asking. I didn't know that this drive was so heavy (and I don't understand why it's heavier than a normal cd reader/burner.) I have never said that I am a true mac fan (doesn't mean that I'm not) and I don't study keynotes down to every word Steve says. Some people expect me two know everything... That bothers me...

Sorry for being curious.

Apple took half a step in the right direction with these updates to the Powerbook like. They didn't go far enough, however, in the Video chipset category.

While sufficient for 2D work, the Radeon 7500 is a poor choice for any professional doing CAD/CAM/3D work. I understand why Apple went with it (more powerful chipset would consume more power, and shorten battery life, plus the drivers for the ATI chipset are already present), but if Apple wants professional people to adopt the Powerbook as a mobile workstation, they have to adopt a workstation class graphics chipset.

That said, this is a step in the right direction. However, they would have arrived had they included an nVidia Quadro4 64MB chip. This chip is available in a mobile version, and Dell is using it, and snagging alot of 3D professionals who want a portable solution for 3D.

Not quite enough to get me to sell my PBG4/500. But inching closer....

Holy Shit! Ain't the new TiBook gorgeous! I want one. Although I have a TiBook already, it is version 1 and 14 months old. I have to butter up the boss and sweet talk him around ;)

I love the fact that it has 32MB graphics card, 800MHz G4 (shame it wasn't 1GHz?), increase resolution (text must be small now!) and Level 3 cache. Combo drive as well, luvvly jubbly.

I asked a friend why the TiBook don't have a SuperDrive in it, and he explained that a SuperDrive was actually two drives in one, so therefore you can't have a SuperDrive that is less than one inch think. It made sense really, but not sure that it's two drives in one?

Nice one Apple, the Ti just gets better and better. Price gets higher and higher.

Back