New Stuff on 28th

simbalala said:
Did they do anything about the speed of the internal disk access?

No, it looks like it's the same hard drive unfortunately. And let me tell you, that has a MAJOR impact on the perceived speed of the Mini.

The Intel Graphics chip is actually a step up from the previous Radeon 9200 found in the G4 Mini's.

I think that the Intergrated Chip does suck. But because of the form-factor/size of th mini it actually works out better, because now we can have a 2nd RAM slot and up to 2GB of RAM in it.

I'm trying my hardest right now not to buy one and smash my Dell PC.

No, it looks like it's the same hard drive unfortunately. And let me tell you, that has a MAJOR impact on the perceived speed of the Mini.

I have to agree. Yesterday I replaced the internal 40GB HD of my mac mini G4 with a Samsung 80GB 7200RPM HD. It really feels much snappier, most applications launch within one bounce and the additional HD space is a blessing.

I just wonder why Apple insists to keep the 40GB HD. The new mac minis come with iLife, so give the user some space and performance to actually do something. The iLife suite already uses around 10GB and the OS most likley another 2 - 4 GB, so half of the HD space is alrady used up. 40GB just feels so 2002.

Ripcord said:
No, it looks like it's the same hard drive unfortunately.

They did up it to a 5400 RPM model drive (was 4200 RPM). The bean counters must have thought 7200 RPM models were too much extra cost.

Lt Major Burns said:
smash the dell. take photos of it.

When i get my mac mini, i'm destroying it...worse than the dude who did smashmyxbox.com

my dell + baseball bat + roof + tire iron = smashy smahy

too bad i just got my Canon i9900 so i'm pretty much broke now for a time. But when i do smash it i'll be putting it up on YouTube or Putfile

Back