new tiger problem?

fallenstarinc

Registered
i jsut installed tiger for the first time. it seems awesome...one thing has me wondering though. my macintosh HD drive is completely empty. normally it should have folders like library, documents, desktop, all that in it. but it is COMPLETELY empty. any ideas on that?
thanks!

mike

that's because no-one who has seen your post yet knows what it is. give more specifics (lead-up to problem, specifically which folders are missng, or rather which folders you do have)

can you boot up your empty mac... as this would be impossible. an empty hard drive is one that needs an OS installed on it, or it is a secondary disk

- Can you boot to it? Do you mean it's empty as you don;t see anything in Finder, or desktop, or you can;t even boot to it?
- Which mac do you have? What did you have on that before (10.3.9 or something else?)? Did you have HFS+(mac extended journaled) or some other format on the hard drive?
- Which format of installing 10.4 did you select? Upgrade? Archive& Install? Clean install?

After my install, I had a similar experience: empty folders anyway - I relaunched the finder, all OK...

I have experienced a similar problem after installing Tiger. All of the word files in my documents folder, music in the iTunes Library, photos, safari bookmarks, iChat names...were all "covered up." I say covered up because I look at the space on my hard drive, and there would be significantly more if Tiger had just deleted.
Any advice. I tried relaunching finder to little success.

Thanks

Or, maybe try some patience... it's ridiculous to expect a fix within 25 minutes of posting unless you're using the live tech support here. Wait at least 24 hours before complaining that you're not getting any replies.

Have you tried rebooting the system?

I have had several folders appear empty when I know they are not. I recently unstuffed an app and the resultant folder was the proper size (12 MB), but had no visible files. A trip to the terminal and an ls command of that directpory later and I could quite plainly see that the files I wanted were in there. I even was able to launch one of the files from the command line. But the folder continued to appear empty. A reboot fixed the glitch.

Perhaps your problem is similar but on a larger scale. Methinks this has to be a bug of some sort.

are thefolders just hiding out of screen? like in screwy 9.2 days? switch to column view to organise them. i remember seeing it when i installed tiger as i thought, "wierd, i thought they'd got rid of that...."

Back