New to Mac

Dolphim

Registered
Hello there!

As the title says, I am new to Macs, and I'm trying to work on a Power Mac G3 Blue&White I obtained from my roommate, which he obtained from a coworker who either upgraded or thought it was broken, or both.

For awhile it wouldn't turn on until I got through to the PMU and made it work, whether it wanted to or not. But now another problem has occurred; password. However I'm not sure this is relevant to what I need to do.

Bear with me, as I am Mac retardant. I simply want to wipe it of OS 9.2 and everything else since I want to respect the former owner's privacy, and throw Debian or Ubuntu, preferably Ubuntu on it.

I got an ISO of 9.2 and put it's image on a disk like I did with Ubuntu and Debian, and it wont boot from disk; however as previously stated I am Mac retardant and could just be missing a key combination at start up. I have an XP disk that I know works, but it didn't on the Mac...

Explicitly detailed help would be greatly appreciated, with either wiping it, or trying to figure out how to boot from disk.

Also, if it helps, I have a Mac keyboard so I can make use of that sexy pretzel button is necessary.

~Namaste.

Your Mac you are working with is a PowerPC-based Mac, not an Intel-based Mac, so the standard ISO images of popular Linux distributions will not boot the machine.

This is also the reason that Windows XP will not boot your Mac.

You will need to obtain a Linux distribution that is PowerPC-compatible. Ubuntu offers several in older versions; newer version for the PowerPC architecture are community maintained.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC

Thank you for such a speedy reply! It's mucho appreciated! I'm working on downloading the ISO, but the only computer I have with a burner is my laptop, so it may take awhile. XD

I'll be waiting eagerly to try it out, thanks again, so much.

~Namaste

Back