New to macs OS question

cave_troll

Registered
Hello,

I am new to macs, always wanted to try one out.
So I picked up an old Ibook clamshell off Ebay, my main questions is this as I have heard some conflicting info.

Is there anyway to reformat the harddrive and install a fresh copy of OSx?
Now as this is a Ebay machine, there were no disks included.
If I were to purchase a copy of OSx would it install onto the ibook.
Or as I have been told, I need the system disks that came with the ibook.
Or yet again I have been told, I need an older copy like 9.1 installed first then upgrade to OSx.

I am not looking to install the lastest version of OSx, as this is only a G3 366.

My second question, I have noticed that when I try and remove some apps.
Such as Dreamweaver MX I am told I do not have the privilages to do that?
But from what I can see I have all the admin, it looks to be a college notebook. And has changed hands at least 2 times, but I dont need these programs such as dreamweaver/photoshop etc. They are just taking up space on the harddrive for what I want this laptop for.

And my 3rd question for now, the date and time never stays right. It always changes back, I have locked the setting and they still revert back.

Thanks in advance

Jaguar should run nicely on that. I don't know if Panther would install, but it's worth a try. Just make sure you up the memory on it past 256 MB for good performance. You might also have to upgrade the HD (I don't remember what the capacity was) to something larger.

When you bought this from ebay, did it mention anything about including software? If not, you need to get in touch with this person or contact ebay about it.

Regarding question number 2, you might have to do a reinstallation of the OS. God only knows what the previous owner did to it, and it's possibhly that the account on it wasn't an administrative account. Also, if this person didn't supply the software that was installed, then you might have to erase everything so that you're not infringing copyright. But that's a decision to be made by you.

As for question 3, it's possible that the internal battery needs replacing. This is what keeps the date and time set once you turn off the computer. I'm suspecting the same thing on an old StarMax 4000 Mac clone which won't even turn on when the power cord is removed (some Macs won't turn on at all if the internal battery is dead).

Unknown information:
Does the iBook have a Firewire connector?

'Is there anyway to reformat the hard drive and install a fresh copy of OSx?', yes from the ('Cheetah', 'Puma', 'Jaguar', 'Panther' or 'Tiger' [special order, and requires iBook to have a Firewire connector]) Installation CD or 'Tiger' DVD (if the iBook has a Firewire connector, and is booted via an external Firewire DVD drive).

'Such as Dreamweaver MX I am told I do not have the privileges to do that (remove some applications)?' - this is not a question. If you, for some reason or another, cannot drag to the trash can an application, its enclosing folder, and / or additional folder (in the '/Library/Application Support/' folder), and empty the trash - try the following:

Launch 'Terminal' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder) and enter ...

'sudo rm -rf '

... exclude the single quote marks; but, include a space after the 'f' in '-rf', drag the folder(s), you want to (but conventionally cannot) delete, onto the 'Terminal' window, click on the 'Terminal' window (to bring it forth), and press the <return> key. You will be prompted for the administrator's 'password' - enter it and press the <return> key. All the dragged items should then be deleted.

'And my 3rd question for now, the date and time never stays right. It always changes back ... '. The clamshell iBooks do not incorporate a Backup Battery, thus the PRAM's clock chip is powered by the iBook's Lithium Ion battery.

If you have an AC adapter, and if possible (that is - to power the iBook via the AC adapter only) - disconnect / remove the battery, connect the AC adapter, and connect the AC adapter to the AC mains. Turn ON the iBook, set the date and time, turn OFF the iBook, wait a period (10 plus minutes), and turn ON the iBook. If the date remains and time is accurate - then you confirmed that the battery requires recharging or replacement.
With the battery inserted and the AC adapter connected and powered, If the iBook is turned ON, the date and time set, the iBook is turned OFF for a period of time and then turned ON, and the date and time are not correct - the battery most likely requires replacement.

Lithium Ion Battery information:
iBook without Firewire: 45 Wh Lithium Ion (M7426)
iBook with Firewire: 50 Wh Lithium Ion (M6392)

The Ibook does not have a firewire port.

The battery is dead, so that is why the date and time is reverting.

Edit

I found the OS version the ibook is running its OS X 10.1.5
I also noticed something else, it asks me right after it starts up.
If I would like to run classic 9.1, but when I say yes it tells me I dont have it.

Now If I was able to buy a copy of OS X 10.1.5 full install and on cd's
Would it load up?

Life long PC user, so this is all new to me
thanks

'The IBook does not have a firewire port.'; therefore, it has (at least originally) a 3.2 or 6 GB hard disk drive.

'The battery is dead, so that is why the date and time is reverting.'; if that is a question, then - yes.

'... the iBook is running its OS X 10.1.5 ... it asks me ... If I would like to run classic 9.1, but ... I don't have it.'. You have a used Mac, no installation CD, ...

Now If I was able to buy a copy of OS X 10.1.5 full install and on cd's ... Would it load up (install)?'; yes, the original 'clamshell' iBook's support MacOS X 10.0.0 through 10.3.9.

If I may make a suggestion, consider purchasing 'Jaguar' (MacOS X 10.2), install it, and then update to 10.2.8; or, purchase and install 'Panther' (MacOS X 10.3), and then update to 10.3.4.

If you do go the 'Puma' (MacOS X 10.1) route - update it to 10.1.5.

cave_troll said:
The Ibook does not have a firewire port.

The battery is dead, so that is why the date and time is reverting.

Edit

I found the OS version the ibook is running its OS X 10.1.5
I also noticed something else, it asks me right after it starts up.
If I would like to run classic 9.1, but when I say yes it tells me I dont have it.

Now If I was able to buy a copy of OS X 10.1.5 full install and on cd's
Would it load up?

Life long PC user, so this is all new to me
thanks

You best bet would be to go over to OWC and get a new battery and get an OS X disk (Jaguar or Panther). The OS X disks are fairly cheap.

I wouldn't recommend a Jaguar installation. Even on slow computers, Panther runs better then Jaguar does. Once you pass the G3 700Mhz area with more then 512MB RAM, then Tiger should be your choice.

Ender at Eros said:
I wouldn't recommend a Jaguar installation. Even on slow computers, Panther runs better then Jaguar does. Once you pass the G3 700Mhz area with more then 512MB RAM, then Tiger should be your choice.

This is true, and I agree with you on using Panther over Jaguar, but sometimes it boils down to price. If he can afford Panther, all the better..but Jaguar is VERY cheap right now and still has a lot of support from developers.

Yes I went with the cheaper 10.2 it came down to price.
Plus this is still new to me, and do not want to sink a ton of money into it.

I still think it's worth the extra amount. Panther has more support then Jaguar does, if someone came to me for help and they still had Jaguar, and a slow computer, I'd recommend them to upgrade to Panther.

Lets say you get Jaguar, you don't like it kuz you can't get the support you need, then you'll decide then and there Mac isn't for you, without really giving it a chance.
Lets say you get Jaguar, like it, and *then* want to upgrade to Panther, there goes that money you saved buying Jaguar.

Back