New Xserve - Speed Bump and RAID

Thoughts on this?

I think it's huge, and could get apple a boat load of new big customers. :)

Funny thing: it's monday ... didn't Apple always update products on tuesdays? :confused:
Is tomorrow another update due?
Just another manic monday ...

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks

Basically multiple hard drives with different configurations.

RAID 0 = Multiple hard drives combined to make one large volume. Requires 2 or more hard drives.
RAID 1 = "Mirrored" hard drives for redundancy if one disk fails.
RAID 5 = Sort of a combination of RAID 0 and RAID 1. Needs at least 3 disks and forms one volume.

There is also RAID 5 + Hot Spare which allows you to swap a hard drive immediately if one gets trashed. Requires at least 4 disks.

I got this info from Iomega's NAS manual (which we are in the process of installing.) There's also a nifty table I can post or link to if anybody's interested.

Honestly, I am giving serious thought to buying an Xserve and an xraid.

I am helping set up a recording studio that will also be streaming live feed out on an internet radio station. The idea we can archive all of our broadcasts easily is hard to pass up. It fits our budget, it fits our hardware requirements and I have not heard any serious complaints about the Xserve. Wowwee.

Originally posted by Pengu
It FITS YOUR BUDGET?
Can i ask what IS your budget? A blank cheque? :p

Well, if you have one, we'll take it!

Seriously, the price of the xserve is hard to beat. Especially when you start looking into the cost of licenses. Quicktime server looks like it will work fine. A similar license from Microsoft or Real is very very pricey. For an off the shelf system with support factored in, this is looking very nice.

I am shutting down our Windows 2000 forest and have spec'd a new model XServe to replace the HP NetServer LH3000r as the main server for the company. Once this RAID product came out I could finally take Apple seriously. What impressed me was that they bothered to already update the XServe with the new FWire800 bumped the speed on the memory and processor. I am impressed. And just in time too, with Linux taking over more and more of my servers. I am worn out with Microsoft viruses and patches and fees. Bye Active Directory.

One thing that surpised me was the Fiber Channel card. It must be a repackaged Atto, Apple couldn't have made their own could they?

Back