New Xserve - Speed Bump and RAID

I really do hope mac becomes a bigger player in the server market. I've been using their server management tools and it's like no other. It does the job very well and looks sooo awesome.

But here's a question ? do you think apple will come out with a blade server ?

I think, apple will definitely switch to IBM's PowerPC chip and then their server business will fly, 5-10 fold. When the xserve came out, their server sales jumped 250%. What also will help is when oracle 9i goes from developers preview to production.

JMHO

I just found out the fiber channel card is an LSI 929 and that is only designed for use with the XRaid product, meaning I won't be able to use it for my Data Direct Networks EV5000 Raid. I'm told that LSI (Metastor)/storagetek is involved in providing Apple the Fiber Channel chips.

The processor in the server has not made any difference to me or the decision of making an Apple Server a replacement for Win2K Server. It has more to do with the cost of licensing than anything else. also, Microsnob doesn't care about enterprises with Apple computer nodes enough to even revise their Services for Macintosh to work as fast as the Apple server by taking advantage of the improvements Apple has made in Open Transport and AFP over IP. Even my slower G4 servers outperform my fastest NetServers for Apple client file sharing.

I am hopeful that an XServe will provide both Mac and PC clients reliable, fast file sharing. I have only had to reboot my AppleShare IP servers once a year, granted the SMB and MAIL and DNS was turned off. I have high expectations for XServe.

itsasony, out of curiosity, how many servers / clients do you manage? What's your network look like?

I'm getting more and more into IT with our small business (20 employees,) including our first rack-mount anything (3Com 48 port switch & Iomega NAS A300u.)

Obviosly the XRaid is a little much for us, but I could see us using the XServer as a replacement for our Windows NT box.

Collapsed backbone network into 256 gigabit HP Procurve 9308 (Foundry Networks big iron)

70 employees (30 art dept.) 80:20 Mac:pC

10 HP LPR Netservers (web and network services (IIs, Apache, DNS, DHCP, POP3, SMTP mostly SuSe Linux)) Retrospect Multiserver-Qualstar 4440 robot.

2 HP LH 3000r (accounting -not in use)
1 HP LH3r general purpose file server
1 HP LH3r (network managment, Cybergauge, syslog, Kiwi cattools, Commview, SmartWhois, Norton Antivirus Corp)

1 P4 1.6Ghz Suse (accounting-in use)

1 G4 533 AppleshareIP (Data Direct Networks EV5000 active/active host 1/2 terabyte, two FC HBA)

1 G3 400 PowerFile DVDChanger jukebox server

Cisco 2621 (Sprintlink)

Back