New XServes when?

Go3iverson

Registered
Really...when?

We can all guess that it MUST have a G5 in it, after they touted it as the world's fastest desktop and I'm sure cramming that massive heat dispersement system into a 1U enclosure must be tricky, but when are these puppies gonna be available?

I know I'd be up for buying one, especially if they release a Quad config!

Hmm. I'd guess Apple Expo in Paris (again). There's quite a few conferences there involving Xserves..

Keynote is 16. September :)
10:00 AM local time, so that's 1:00 AM PST or something like that. There's so much clutter with time zones and such. Why couldn't we all just use the Internet Time standard :p

I have no idea WHEN it will be announced, but you've gotta believe that no sane Mac user is going to buy a G4-based server ever again.

If you believe that premise, then you might be inclined to think that X-Serves are sooner than later.

You can announce G5s and stil have people buy G4 eMacs for price/performance and G4 iMacs for coolness, and even G4 laptops cuz we all accept that it's going to take a while to get the G5 in there, but you immediately cut your own throat on the server side (unless they announce something soon).

Agreed. Considering everyone knows that this chip had industrial strength and is based off of the Power4, I don't see how we couldn't see it in the XServes ASAP!

maybe they will release somethin that will let you jam the current g5 sideways into a rackmount case.....
what kind of size is the g5 in tums of u's?

Yep. the .beat is the Internet Standard Time. Introduced by Swatch. Not used by more than 0.5% of the internet population, though. :p

I'd say we should use GMT, which is about as 'world-wide' as we can get.

current time here is
@551 BMT (worldwide) (Swatch .beat)
or 14:13 in Switzerland
or 1:13 pm in Switzerland
or 13:13 GMT (worldwide)

Imagine the lengths Apple would have to go to just to get one G5 into an Xserve and to keep it cool, much less 4. They only just managed to get a G4 into a 1U device fairly recently, compared to the age of the G4, because it had been out for a while and it was old hat by that time. If they can fit a G4 in a 1" (2.54 cm for all you non-States folks) laptop case, they can easily fit it into a 1U rack-fitting case. But the G5, right now, takes up to 9 fans to cool, and it would be hard to fit all those fans into an Xserve body.

The G5 doesn't run much hotter than the G4, so that shouldn't be any problem yet.

Then, with the G5 combined with all the improved architectural technologies in the new Powermacs, why do the towers need 9 low power fans and a cheesegrater grill? Air conditioning?

Originally posted by arden
Then, with the G5 combined with all the improved architectural technologies in the new Powermacs, why do the towers need 9 low power fans and a cheesegrater grill? Air conditioning?

You said it yourself, "low power fans". It's for keeping the computer silent, even with future models that may dissipate more heat than the current one.

Let's see.. estimated typical power dissipation for a 1.2 GHz G5 is 19W. A 1 GHz has a typical power dissipation of 32.5W. That's 171% of the G5. And if we consider the clock speed difference as well (assuming the W/MHz curve is linear, which it isn't), the G4's wattage is 204% of the G5's. Then what makes you think a dual 2 GHz G5 dissipates a lot more heat than a dual 1.42 GHz G4?

Back