Newbie Questions!!!

Hey Guys, So this is "Almost", Ok, IS the start of My Switch :D

Now, i've Got a Few questions, and things i was Curious About, i hope there is a kind "Mac User" (Pun intended!) to help me out! ;)

1. This may Seem kinda STUPID, as my first Question, but i REALLY Miss the Dock "thing" representing my iBook's Power!

This... http://idisk.mac.com/bo_Selecta/Public/faq/dock_power.jpg

Is there anyway i can get this Back?! (running X.1.5)

2. Networking with a WINDOWS *ahem* PC! Right, this is Still a Nightmare for me, i do remember a hint of how to browse a Window Share, from my iBook, but i Don't remember it exactly!

In the meantime, i've allowed FTP access on my iBook, and used an FTP Client as my only means of transferring data, "to and from".

as far as i remember, it was something like, smb://192.168.0.1/D (D representing the Shared Folder / Drive "D") :confused:

also, i've Configured Internet Sharing (as the IP address may suggest) But it Seemed REALLY Slow on my iBook (512K DSL) .. Is there a reason for that?!)

i Dropped my Windows PC's (the Computer Connected to the internet) IP into the Router Space, and 2 DNS Server IP's for my ISP in the DNS Section, on my iBook, But it Still Seemed CRAP!? :(

If Anyone can help with this, i'd Appreciate it!

... there were OTHER Queries, but i have gone temporarily Blonde, i'll think up some more, Soon Enough! :D

Thanks to anyone Who spent their time, helping me, MUCH Appreciated!

NeYo

"Almost Switched"

You might want to consider networking them together with an ethernet cable, setting up local IP addresses, and FTPing files between the two. Every once in a while I take my Mac into school to grab some really big downloads, or copy files related to my thesis that is just a pain to transfer via a ZIP disk. I use FTPCommander on the PC to transfer files to the my Mac. I think I found it on http://www.winfiles.com/. Seems to work really well, though for large downloads, a 10Mbit ethernet connection is painfully slow.

Ever since version 10.1 I believe "docklings" were discontinued. The "dockling by the way is that battery thing. Although, in the Quartz Extreme Demo PDF located at www.allosx.com, the first page of the PDF has three "docklings" in it. My thinking was that these pictures are from 10.2 and just maybe the "docklings" will return, and yes I too miss the little battery, t'was very convenient.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~

2. Networking with a WINDOWS *ahem* PC! Right, this is Still a Nightmare for me, i do remember a hint of how to browse a Window Share, from my iBook, but i Don't remember it exactly!

In the meantime, i've allowed FTP access on my iBook, and used an FTP Client as my only means of transferring data, "to and from".

as far as i remember, it was something like, smb://192.168.0.1/D (D representing the Shared Folder / Drive "D") :confused:

well....
about: cifs://192.168.0.1/D

D represents the shared folder name, the drive letter is never mentioned nor is the full path to the share folder but just the name

The shared folder would be any folder you specify to be shared with, in windows.

oh and to connect to a shared folder just click
Go -> Connect to Server
type in the ADDRESS and click connect

Yeah I sometimes network my iBook to my peecee for backup.

All I do is - apple key + K (connect to server) and smb://machine name/shared folder name/ .

works perfectly, nice and simple.

Just don't forget to set your folder to "share" on your peecee side. Should be no problem :D

Brilliant! Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Chemistry_Geek, i use Twisted Pair ethernet cable between my two PC's, and Now this PC, and my iBook, and Both XP and X State i am Connected @ 100Mb/sec < Shrugs >

Anyhow, So those Docklings (i'll remember that one) cannot be used in X.1 Greater?! :confused: Damn, if thats so, i hope You're right about X.2 maybe bringing them back, i think that "Dockling" looked a hell of a look cooler, than the Stupid icon on the (i think) "Finder Bar" (is that the name of the thing?! lol).

Mindbend, Yea i took another look at some of the Stuff in 10.2, and as far as i could see, it'd be easy as Networking 2 "normal" (pun intended) PeeCee's! :D ...Sounds Great, Because as things stand, they Do kinda suck!

thanks for ya time guys, i may From time to time need to bump this Post, with more "blonde" Questions! :(

Neyo :D

I'm pretty sure the old docklings CAN be used in 10.1 + versions. I happened to save that particular battery dockling on my iDisk because I liked it so much as well. you're free to have it!

http://homepage.mac.com/scottmackey

Go to the filesharing page and the dockling is there as batmon.sit

I know you can represent the battery power in the menubar, but I have no idea about the dockling thing.

Also, if you're trying to connect to shares on your PC from the Mac, don't forget the generic "shared" drive lettering scheme... for example, if you wanna connect to the "C" drive, you would put:

smb://ComputerIPAddress/c$

Or, for drive "D":

smb://ComputerIPAddress/d$

Don't forget the "$" (share) at the end of the drive letter. That may make things a little easier for you to connect because you don't have to remember the exact share name.

Hey! i got something more to ask! ages ago, the 1st time i got my iBook, i installed a theme, "Slicktime" or something, and it transformed a few things!

Obviously the theme
the Login Screen
the Loading thing, before the login Screen
And Icons!

Now, i want aqua back in its entirity! but i downloaded Duality 3.1, and set it to return to aqua, and the theme and Login Screen Did so, but the "thing" Before the Login, still is Slicktime, and i still have the graphite icons that came packaged with the Slicktime theme, How can i get rid of these 2 things?! they are bugging me Stupid!!

thanks!

NeYo (Continuing to "play" :D)

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
I know you can represent the battery power in the menubar, but I have no idea about the dockling thing.

Also, if you're trying to connect to shares on your PC from the Mac, don't forget the generic "shared" drive lettering scheme... for example, if you wanna connect to the "C" drive, you would put:

smb://ComputerIPAddress/c$

Or, for drive "D":

smb://ComputerIPAddress/d$

Don't forget the "$" (share) at the end of the drive letter. That may make things a little easier for you to connect because you don't have to remember the exact share name.

Hi,
I am on a network (through a cayman router). I want to use the printer hooked to a PeeCee. How do I find the PeeCee's IP to get access to the printer. Also, is it that simple to get access? Are there other thing that need to be done? Could you (or anyone) please detail that for me? BTW the PeeCee is running Winblows ME.
Thanks!

The docklings can be used in X.1 the problem is finding them. The old battery and air port docklings are located on the original X install CD.

To reinstall the dockling all you have to do is find them on the install CD, drop them in a new "Dockling" folder in the Application folder, and then drag the ones you like to the dock.

If memory serves me, the docklings are located in the "essential.pax.gz" file located in the Essential package on the install CD. Do a search for essentials on the install CD using Sherlock. Once you find the file, right click to view the contents. You need to extract the file "essential.pax.gz". I am 90% certain that the docklings are located in this package, but if not there are a few more that you can extract and search.

This file contains all the original applications installed by X way back when. In fact this was one way to return to Quicktime 5 if you did not like the 6 Preview.

To extract the essentials.pax.gz file I use a nifty little utility called Open Up that I found on version tracker.

Hope that helps,
Jason

Back