newby to OS X

infinityBBC

Registered
i'm curious...

how does one change the "short name", and therefore, the "home" name once it is already entered. it seems i cannot find a way to get the "Users" pref to allow me to edit it!

also, the Classic DVD player doesn't seem to work... is there one for OS X? i haven't found it yet.

thanks a bunch!

1/ I don't know how to change the short name, don't think it's possible... I suggest creating a new user, next transferring over files to new user

2/ Classic DVD player doesn't work in Classic environment, you have to reboot to 9.1 to watch DVDs. DVD-playback is currently impossible on the Mac OS X platform: the 10.1 update due in September will fix this. I've heard there's a third party-solution to play DVDs on X, I have no experience with it (don't have a DVD-drive) - I only suggest trying to find it if you're an experienced user (it's kinda complicated).

thanks! i tried creating another user already... however, this didn't seem to work for some reason. apparently, the first one entered is special or something.

i don't understand why there is no allowance for changing a name anywhere. i guess it's one of those oversights of Apple in this premature OS X version.

The first user you create has the "Admin" status, this means that he can do more than a regular user (delete/access certain files/directories).

If you login using that first user (with Admin status) you can give other (newly created) users the same status... (in the Users panel of the SysPrefs)

this thread is uder the wrong category u should read the cats\ on this forum and choose the most appropriate one,.

Back