Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

macosxrumors.com refers to the limited release of 8A378.

So that means a rename of this thread, yes? Anyone used it? There seem to be some complaints

From what I understand it is available to seed partners (appleseed?) but not normal ADC members. So 8A378 is not a general audience beta release. All I can say with certainty is that it is not available to me as an ADC member. <shrug/>

Just got info that 'normal' ADC Select members get 8A369 by snail-mail - as expected. So I guess we'll see a new build in early March or so (for the March mailing) - unless Apple's going to speed up the seeds earlier.

According to testers, it has new desktop pictures. ;) ... I'm still downloading, so I can't really say anything about it...

fryke said:
According to testers, it has new desktop pictures. ;)

oh, joy! :) <<< not sarcatic, btw.

maybe this means that they are slowly beginning to polish the look of 10.4.

Could be. Although the 'A' and the high number still has me for some reason. It doesn't sound _right_ to me. Although it sure _would_ make sense to change that naming scheme so that 'A' actually belongs to the 10.4.0 version, B to the 10.4.1 version etc. ...

Hmm, well, things are looking more refined, still problems with Mail crashing and mdimport doesn't seem to be active on Server? Perhaps I've not given it enough time, but something odd there.

Looking fine on first steps here... Spotlight initially again didn't wanna finish indexing, but now it seems it has. Or it's just using an unfinished index again...

the dock? well, performs well, but - at least in German - dashboard doesn't seem to work right in this build. iChat crashes on startup for me, too. (And yes I've done everything to try and get it to run, so don't ask...)

Does anyone have any idea as to how to activate Spotlight or if it supposed to be disabled in Server?

No, sorry, I don't mean how to pull up the Spotlight search bar, but rather how to enable the subsystem. If someone on regular Mac OS X Client could look through /etc/hostconfig and search for anything pertaining to Spotlight or MD, Metadata, mdimporter, etc. and let me know if it says anything that would be super. It seems as though Spotlight indexing (mdimport) is turned off, yet it and mds are running. Seems like it might somehow be deactivated to preserve speed of the server, however I just don't know.

Still needing any thoughts on the above question, but is it just me or does Tiger smoke Panther in terms of IO speed? Things are really seeming snappy, particularly in HD IO and CD/DVD IO. I've not run any tests, but on an upgraded system I'm really feeling peppy.

Back