Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

Also, lets start pounding Apple with requests to start an ADC/Apple employee only board through the ADC or Bug Report system so that we can all chat freely about issues and development questions. Seems they are receptive to feedback as such.

Client only, so far. But I guess Server will follow on the heels of Client - like with earlier builds...

How many are you erasing your hard disk and starting over with each build as they are coming out faster and faster, or are you just upgrading? If you are erasing then what is the advantage in that.

Thanks
eddie

I'm just updating the builds on my iBook. Until that does end up in a non-working system, that is. With Jaguar and Panther betas I didn't have much trouble doing that. But then the iBook's not my main system and I don't have much on it, so reinstalling is much easier and faster than my regular system on the PB would be.

Erasing the disk (or archive/install) is 'better', since you'll get a cleanly installed Tiger system with the newest build. Apple doesn't really pay attention that the upgrade from build to build works, so thinks _can_ go wrong.

Tiger fur desktop picture. :) :) :)

I'm going to reboot the build, because after the update from 8A385, the first boot was really, really slow (first time for me, the other ones were 'better'). So I'll check to see whether that was installation-related or 'common' for this build on my machine...

i thought they had dropped the analogies to real life tigers with this build (the black packaging et al. but maybe that wont be the package. just a placeholder)
is the Fur desktop new to this build? it is not the default alternative, is it?

Dunno about defaults. Updating from build to build usually keeps your user settings... But I guess the default's still Aqua Blue.

fryke said:
Tiger fur desktop picture. :) :) :)

I'm going to reboot the build, because after the update from 8A385, the first boot was really, really slow (first time for me, the other ones were 'better'). So I'll check to see whether that was installation-related or 'common' for this build on my machine...

Can you post small (100x100 ?) sample of your fur desktop ?

I don't guess Apple cares whether the screenshot would be 1024*768 or 100*100, Chevy. ;) ... It's Tiger fur. From orange-brown on top to quite dark at the bottom. Horizontal rather than vertical stripes. Looking good. :)

There are also some other new desktop pictures in this build, some of which I quite like. Also new screensavers, though nothing really groundbreaking. (I.e. picture shows.)

I like the RSS-feed 3D viewer screen saver the most. I can look at my own headlines from http://macnews.net.tc/ ... And it automatically gives the articles numbers, so you can hit "3" while in the screensaver and it automatically takes you to the webpage... Doesn't replace a full RSS reader of course, but still a nice thing to look at.

fryke said:
It's Tiger fur. From orange-brown on top to quite dark at the bottom. Horizontal rather than vertical stripes. Looking good. :)

i always thought the jaguar fur looked really pimp (and that is a negative thing for me). Or maybe "raggare".

rant: i dont know if you got "raggare" in any other countries. But they are best described as people driving around in old american cars with giant cotton dices hanging from the mirror and they mainly dress in light jeans clothes. open shirts and hairy chests. they usually got some kind of mustasch, and look kind of sleezy. They live for their cars. and beer.

fryke said:
I like the RSS-feed 3D viewer screen saver the most.

what is 3d about it? (trying to picture it).

There are also two new Desktop Picture collections: "Black and White" and "Plants"

The "Black and White" set is quite nice.

The last installs I have done a clean install and reformatted the drive but with with 8A393 I just did an update... HOWEVER... my spotlight has been indexing for 2 straight days and so now I reinstalled with the second of saving old files and creating a new system to see if that works. As I type this it says it takes 12 hours, wait it just went up to 18 hours.

Also wanted to let all you possible programmers this site

http://www.mymacwidgets.com/

There you can upload your widgets and they can sell them for you and get them out to the communith. It might be worth a look.

Eddie Robbins

:rolleyes:

I did an upgrade install from 8A369 to 8A393.

Now Spotlight will not find everything on my hard drive. It looked liked it did a full index. For items it does not find, example a folder, if I change the folder name or add a space, then it will find it.

Is there a way to re-index the hard drive?

Also, I have a 200 gig firewire drive. As soon as I plug it in, it starts to index. I know this is the default. Is there a way to control spotlight, to tell it when to index?

Well, then do try a clean install. Or simply wait for the next build... Right now, Spotlight doesn't seem to have any user-settable preferences besides keyboard shortcuts for the Spotlight field.

hello,

I' ve been looking at the Spotlight documentation and it seems that it is quite easy to make a mdimporter.
I would be great to make one for rss feeds. Example: you search for a word in the spotlight finder bar and it gives you results for titles of news items in any rss feed on your disk.
Unfortunaltely it's Carbon and I code in Cocoa.
Did anybody start playing with the spotlight sdk and the mdimporter example ?
Any source code ?

Back