Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

Can someone tell me if there has been a change to Mail.app's appearance in recent builds?

Just curious if the buttons/button alignment from MWSF are staying.

Staying. Although there _might_ have been a slight cleaning, colour hue change or something... But basically, it looks like two months ago.

fryke said:
Staying. Although there _might_ have been a slight cleaning, colour hue change or something... But basically, it looks like two months ago.

What about the newest build compared to the wwdc builds? thats all ive used...way back when...is there a HUGE diffrence? or just smaller differences? is speed much improved? the look of the system changed?

Not sure if this was asked before, but did anyone here test the speed of 64bit Tiger on a G5 and 32bit on a <G4? Anything significant?

You mean whether a 64bit G5 was any faster than a 32bit G3? ;) ... What exactly should be 'speed tested' here?

Maybe they have not tried wwdc build?

Comparatively, the last three builds I have tried are quicker or as quick as Panther.

fryke said:
You mean whether a 64bit G5 was any faster than a 32bit G3? ;) ... What exactly should be 'speed tested' here?
Iirc G4 is 32bit as well. ;) So, I thought of a test like G5 1.6ghz vs G4 1.64ghz. I know, the cpus are not equal in performance, but still there are some tests that might direct (or not) to the benefits of the 64bit technology. Just wondered if anyone every tested that.

You're not going to be able to extrapolate that result to the G3 though. Reason being that the G4 is going to be faster than a G3 at the same clockspeed, particularly when floating point is used. If Altivec is used, the G3 is completely blown out of the water.

It's going to be hard to test the performance of Tiger objectively, since you wouldn't know what the OS is doing under the hood.

Well 8A425 is out and i've just installed it. In 'About This Mac' it dosent says 'Prerelease' anymore. So i guess we are damn close a GM version.

Sounds good to me. I'll install it this afternoon... If I have the time, that is...

Did you update from 8A420 or an earlier build or clean install/archive install? ... I wonder when/if they'll "unpossible" this. IIRC updating to the final version was possible with Panther betas but not with Jaguar and earlier...

fryke said:
Did you update from 8A420 or an earlier build or clean install/archive install? ... I wonder when/if they'll "unpossible" this. IIRC updating to the final version was possible with Panther betas but not with Jaguar and earlier...

Hi Fryke,
I did an archive install over the previous 8A420 build. I could also have chosen upgrade -so this option is still there. I seems even more stabil to me (or maybe it's because i know it's a newer build) -very fast. Don't know what else have been done to system -but i guess optimizing, optimizing and optimizing :)

cj.one said:
Well 8A425 is out and i've just installed it. In 'About This Mac' it dosent says 'Prerelease' anymore. So i guess we are damn close a GM version.

Good news. Can't wait till GM!

i read somewhere that a colour-pdf was released with this build, and that it was probably the one that was going to be printed. if so, is there a frontpage to this "manual" included in th pdf? the reason i'm wondering this is that i am interested if they went with the steel "X" on black or if they choose the tiger fur.

Steel. Same for 8A420 and 8A425. I still wonder what the music in the 'welcome' movie is... Want to get a hold of that song... Anybody got an idea?

A few little notes. (These regard build 8A425.) Generally very good. Very responsive. I don't know if it's as fast as Panther, though...odd. Maybe it is, and my machine's just freakin' out. Maybe I need to clean out my user library, or something.

I do have some issues withe the Get Info panel in the Finder, specifically with the permissions sections. I was trying to mess with some permissions (more on why later), and once I chose a new user/group (my own), I could NOT change the read/write/read+write pop down menus. Also, once I clicked the lock, they switched back to the old user/group pair (system/admin), although I checked via the Terminal and they had been changed. Odd.

I was messing around with all this on my /sw directory (Fink) so that I could get it in the Privacy section of Spotlight, 'cause I don't want to see all those files in Spotlight ;-). This is a little more difficult than I thought, and I'm not sure about it, yet. First off, the privacy is global, for all users, and anyone can add a folder to the global preference given that they have _write_ access to the folder. (At least, that's been my experience.) Given this, I think there should have been two types of "privacy preferences." One that is something like "I don't want other users to see these files" and another that is "I myself don't care to search through these files everytime I use spotlight." That way I could add my personal files to the first, and add /sw to the second. That seems to make more sense to me.

That's it, so far.

frankf said:
A few little notes. (These regard build 8A425.) Generally very good. Very responsive. I don't know if it's as fast as Panther, though...odd. Maybe it is, and my machine's just freakin' out. Maybe I need to clean out my user library, or something.

I do have some issues withe the Get Info panel in the Finder, specifically with the permissions sections. I was trying to mess with some permissions (more on why later), and once I chose a new user/group (my own), I could NOT change the read/write/read+write pop down menus. Also, once I clicked the lock, they switched back to the old user/group pair (system/admin), although I checked via the Terminal and they had been changed. Odd.

I was messing around with all this on my /sw directory (Fink) so that I could get it in the Privacy section of Spotlight, 'cause I don't want to see all those files in Spotlight ;-). This is a little more difficult than I thought, and I'm not sure about it, yet. First off, the privacy is global, for all users, and anyone can add a folder to the global preference given that they have _write_ access to the folder. (At least, that's been my experience.) Given this, I think there should have been two types of "privacy preferences." One that is something like "I don't want other users to see these files" and another that is "I myself don't care to search through these files everytime I use spotlight." That way I could add my personal files to the first, and add /sw to the second. That seems to make more sense to me.

That's it, so far.

not as fast as panther? oh no! does anyone else think differntly? if tiger is slower than panther then i dont know if it is worth getting in my opinion.

Mike

Back