Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

That was a pretty sweeping broad generality. Generally speaking, it seems about the same, but there are some times where it seems slower. Terminal.app seems slower, to me, on redraw, maybe I need to change some settings. Things speed up after I've been booted for a while, maybe I'm used to having longer uptimes, or something.

From what I've been reading, this is just a "me" issue, I wouldn't worry about it. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the spotlight stuff would have at least a tiny negative affect on disc IO, which in PB's, might be more easily felt.

I could be way off the mark, too. *shrug*

Terminal doesn't lag for me. Overall speed in Finder seems improved over Panther. Generally, I see it as a tad faster than Panther. Spotlight's impact is negligible for me. That's on a PB, too, btw... However: In the current build I suddenly can't print any longer (that's one of the test areas, too, I see) to my USB printer and somewhere between yesterday and today, some sound got lost. Gotta reboot. Here's to hoping the next build will solve these issues - plus the one getting on my nerves the most: Can't copy/paste, drag/drop between Adobe CS apps. Maybe they'll need an update...

Have these issues been reported in the ADC? If Apple doesn't know they're problems (such as the Get Info pane) they won't fix them, and they'll go GM with the prob.

Can anyone verify that it is out of sync with chowning them in Terminal?

As soon as I can log in to the bugreporter website (it seems to be unresponsive, now), I'll report the one about the Get Info pane.

It seems like, though, the longer my uptime is, the better the performance. Terminal isn't lagging for me anymore, everything seems more responsive, etc, etc.

I first thought you meant a new build, texanpenguin ;) ... But yeah, sounds strange really. But it could of course be that with longer uptime, Spotlight "knows" your computer (and your use of it) better and has to do less. Then basically it shouldn't be uptime, but installation time. A reboot shouldn't really matter in this case...

OK, this one's really weird, but I want to know if anyone else sees this behavior. When my cursor changes (ie, from the pointer to the little hand over a link in Safari), there are some odd graphic glitches, very localized around the cursor. It's pretty subtle, but it happens whenever the cursor changes, and it seems to be a slightly larger picture of the cursor. It's not a solid image, but kinda interpolated with what should be there.

For me, it's easiest to see it if I move the cursor over a link over and over again, quickly, or between different links (like the page links at the bottom of this page).

It also happens in Finder, for example, when moving the divider between the sidebar and the icon/list/column view.

Anyone else see this?

Nope, don't see this. What Mac/graphics card do you have? (It helps listing your Mac in your signature...)

Hrmm...good idea.

I have a PowerBook 12" 867 MHz. The graphics card is a GeForce4 MX.

(Goes to make a signature for himself).

Ah I see. AppleInsider... Well: If Apple has turned 8A428 into gold, then we'll see it on ADC soon enough, I guess. ;)

Ok, I was wondering what was the first build number for tiger? The one that was first put out to developer's back in june 04. Lastly the current build 8A425 is about 2.29 GB, does it fully expand to 6GB's or does it reach around 7 to 8 GB's? Lastly, the ripple effect was in the earlier builds! I watched the keynoted from last june! WOW! I didn't realize it was there when dashboard was first introduced. Well thanks for your time.

I do not have access to the build I was wandering if someone could tell me what version of postfix and fetchmail come with the latest build.

thanks

Tiger Server 8A420 has been seeded. Side question (the feature's disabled in _this_ build): Has anyone looked into 'Portable Home Folder'? What's it do exactly?

fryke said:
Tiger Server 8A420 has been seeded. Side question (the feature's disabled in _this_ build): Has anyone looked into 'Portable Home Folder'? What's it do exactly?

That is where you go when the wife finds out you spend too much time on the computer... ;)

Portable Home Directories

PowerBook and iBook users can now enjoy synchronized versions of home directory folders locally and on the network. When a user goes offline, her home directory goes with her, so she can continue to work just as she would back at the office. When she reconnects to the network, Mac OS X automatically syncs up selected content — such as documents, desktop items, music and pictures — in her local home directory with the one on the server.

Back