newsreader?

atoms

unior Member
Anyone found or built a free OSX newsreader yet?

MT Newswatcher 3.0 is the only reason I have to load up Classic any more. I would love to avoid Classic completely.

I prefer to use a stand-alone newsreader rather than encouraging bloat in a web browser.

Thanks.

Originally posted by atoms

MT Newswatcher 3.0 is the only reason I have to load up Classic any more. I would love to avoid Classic completely.

I prefer to use a stand-alone newsreader rather than encouraging bloat in a web browser.

Thanks.

Well, I use rtin, but I have a feeling that's not te answer you're looking
for... (for the record, tin works like a dream in OSX, and builds easily)

I tried (and hated hated hated) Thoth.

Gnus 5.7 is included with the default installation of emacs under Mac OS X. Gnus is a fully featured newsreader application, and can be accessed from within emacs.

It never occured to me to use a cli app. Brilliant. Thanks.

I used gnus for a while with Xemacs - not in OSX.

The settings for like, where your newserver is are in your .emacs file or some kind of .newsrc?

And if so, would you mind posting the relevant snippets?

thanks!

The settings for like, where your newserver is are in your .emacs file or some kind of .newsrc?

GNUS requires the NNTPSERVER environment variable to be set. You can do this by adding the following line to your ~/.tcshrc file

setenv NNTPSERVER mail.domain.com

Execute Emacs (you will need to quit and restart the terminal application first), and open up GNUS (use the ESC-` t r shortcut to get to GNUS). You should then be greeted with an ascii picture of a gnu, while the newsgroups are downloaded. Enjoy.

GNUS requires the NNTPSERVER environment variable to be set. You can do this by adding the following line to your ~/.tcshrc file

setenv NNTPSERVER mail.domain.com

Execute Emacs (you will need to quit and restart the terminal application first), and open up GNUS (use the ESC-` t r shortcut to get to GNUS). You should then be greeted with an ascii picture of a gnu, while the newsgroups are downloaded. Enjoy.

Um, I just tried gnus...

I think I'll stick to tin. (I guess if you're used to emacs
gnus is a good option, though)

I know this thread appears to be pretty much dead, but I'm basically using Newsflash as my default news reader these days. Even though it's only in alpha, it's still actually quite stable. It's mainly missing a few features. I'll be honest that I'm pretty much a lurker when it comes to Usenet, so I don't know how good the posting is. Still, I happen to like it. It certainly looks nicer than NewsWatcher X.

Another one I've tried is the news reader that's built into Mozilla. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work. All it does is creates a hundred folders with names like "news-server.columbus-26.com" in my ~/Library/Mozilla/more-stuff-here/News folder, and then does nothing. This is very disappointing, as Mozilla for the PC can do it just fine.

The last one I've tried, to relatively no success, is Pan, which I installed through Fink and run through X-Windows. Unfortunately, it immediately crashes as soon as I try to open a group or subscribe to anything.

I just hope that whatever great news reader that finally comes out supports xfaces. God, I miss those. I almost want to boot up OS 9 just to see them again.

-Bruce Adcock

Back