Next G5 Speed Update?

I'd like to get you gents opinions on when the next G5 speed update is due for. I'm thinking about getting a dual 2.0, but I've waited 3 years, I can wait a few more months (MacWorld January maybe?). It seems like it hasn't been that long since they only started shipping in mid August, but they were announced 2 months before that (in May). If I heard correctly, Steve's promise at the keynote was 3.0GHz by 1 year from the announcement date (May). Considering this, wouldn't it be logical to release a .5Ghzish speed update to help bridge the gap?

Your thoughts please...

Unless a dual-2.0GHz machine just isn't enough power for you, I would get one ASAP. Sure, you could get a faster one in 6 months, but then you'd be 6 months behind on using the G5 and being productive.

There's ALWAYS going to be a slightly faster, better machine right around the corner, and you're ALWAYS going to be miffed that you could have gotten a dual-2.25GHz machine for the same price.

Maybe wait until February, get the Xmas expenses taken care of, and see what Apple's released by then.

wait till MWSF and then buy.

i would not advise to wait anytime of the year because it is now mixed with the exception of MWSF.

wait.

I do a lot of work with video rendering, and allthough a 2GHz would be wonderful, I dont mind waiting 2 months for a 2.xGHz dual... it also might help justify my opting for the highest end rather than the dual 1.8.

Yep, I would certainly wait for MWSF... particularly since not only the increase in speed, but maybe a few other additions (the rumour of FireWire 1600, maybe they'll get round to adding Bluetooth as standard etc... and maybe, just maybe... more RAM... nah, not Apple ;) )

IIRC there were rumors of the 970 passing on to a 90nm process and jumping up by ~600MHz. That would bode well if they release them at MWSF. However, this is just speculation. What is true, is that the PPC970 will top out somewhere around 2.6-2.8 GHz. So to reach the 3GHz promise, Jons will have either to overclock the 970, use an improved version of the 970 (at 90nm) or use the 980. So, we'll just have to wait and see. ;)

Steve said "late summer 2004" about the 3 GHz G5 at the Apple Expo. "Late summer" :p
Which means it'll start shipping in December 2004. Yea, that's a year from now. Get your G5 now :p

I'd expect 2X2.5 for January and 2X3 for autumn.

Maybe we'll have a 4X2.5 as a server ?

Could be done ... in a 3U enclosure. I bet Apple wants to stay at 1U for the Xserve. I suppose the cooling problems for G5 Xserves and PowerBooks are similar, so once they solve the one they also have halfway solved the other. This makes me think that when one will be announced, the other will follow shortly.

The PowerMacs are a lot more predictable: they already have a G5, we just have to guess what clockspeed it will be and when Apple will intro a G5+ (PPC970@90nm) or a G6 (PPC980).
For MWSF, I suppose the clockspeed will jump considerably. I wouldn't wonder at a single 2GHz becoming the low end, as the rumours seem consistent on this point.

The rumours seem quite logical to me. Even mathematics can confirm a jump to 2.5/2.6 GHz in January: When Steve introduced dual 2 GHz G5s, he said they'd be at 3 GHz one year later, which implies about half of that jump for the inbetween-iteration in January/February.
And _if_ the high-end goes to 2.5 GHz, the middle one shouldn't be far behind, and the lowend should at least jump to a single processor 2 GHz.
I certainly wouldn't buy one of the current models in December now, as it's quite probable that you'd get the same machine at a lower price in January, after new machines are announced.
Also, the second revision of PowerMac G5 should also get some hardware quirks out (although I haven't heard of many...). Basically, Rev. B machines are always better than Rev. A machines quality-wise.

The new G5's will be faster and have a new processor

The second generation Power Mac G5 units will make an appearance by early March of next year, according to a rather detailed report submitted to AppleInsider. The 'Power Mac 8,1', as sources call it, will see an introduction shortly after IBM unveils the 90nm G5 at the International Solid State Circuit conference in February.

The 90nm G5 reportedly contains a feature called 'Power Tune' which allows for rapid frequency and power scaling, and features electronic fusing. The Power Mac 8,1 system controller will be called U3 revision II, sources said, and will add support for 533 DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a Front Side Bus of up to 1.5Ghz. The Power Mac 8,1 will also sport an ASIC controller built using the 90nm technology.

A previous report suggested the appearance of dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 models sometime in January. According to new information, these units would either be built around the current architecture and 130nm G5 process or simply appear in March as part of the architecturally revamped second generation Power Mac G5.

I'm not big on the waiting to buy a better model philosophy. Primarily because it's a self-defeating approach to buying a computer.

Computers cycle, and it's important to know the cycle, but don't live and die by it. I usually buy second generations. For example, I purchased the second generation iPod, I bought what I thought I needed and didn't look back. Apple released the 40 gig (I have the 30) a few months later. Was I upset, no... why would I be?

Buy your G5, wait until the end of the year or the next Mac World, if it will make you feel better... but consider what you'll be doing with it and why you need it, then buy when you think it's the right time to do so. There's no right or wrong with purchasing an Apple! ;)

Apple may go a half gigahertz higher at MWSF, or they may go 200-400 Mhz faster across the board with the G5 and release improved specs just before something major like MWNY. They did that just recently with the iBooks, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do it for the G5 next year.

I'm almost positive we'll see some sort of speed increase at MWSF, and after that you'll be able to find used G5's at reduced prices (though you may have to look hard, as people probably won't want to let go so soon ;)).

I am also making a purchase for three units, and at the very least, will be waiting until MW is over and see what new goodies are out, and grab the first lot of reduced price stocks! :D

Hihi! I think 90nm technology will also make it easier to finally stuff the G5 into the powerbooks. Less heat...
IBM does its work simply perfect. Happy Apple changed.

Back