Next iApp?

joeth

The Mac Duck
iDraw, iPad, iWrite & iMovie, iDVD, iMac, iPhoto? IT seems quite a hobby to stick an 'i' on the front of an app.....

But what will be next? Has apple covered all the software needed?

there are a few more possibilities.

1. Video conferencing. Now that people have broadband, and fast computers this could be a neat part of QT. For those on dial up connections how about just a shared white board and chat window?

2. Some kind of music app for home musicians? Not a pro-sumer level app but something that would be available out-of-the-box for students and amateurs to record, edit and produce a CD.

iCatalog --- disk cataloging built right into the os and searchable through sherlock.

with my 700+ audio/mp3 cds and 200+ software disks, this would be a godsend.

I too have far too many CDs and DVDROMS to remember where everything is. I would purchase software that would do this well. Of course, I could just write the program myself....and if I could access the summarize service from within the app, I could have it automatically generate summaries of the text files on the disks so that the catalog would be easier to browse.

Before this post sinks into the depths of vanish-land, I'll refresh it....

Please give some ideas....

Apple iOffice (AppleWorks 7)

A complete rewrite in Cocoa, iOffice will be able to seamlessly replace MS Office. It won't be as feature complete as MS Office v. X, but will be able to read & print even documents with features it can't edit/produce. Documents created in iOffice will be fully compatible with Microsoft Office XP for PCs and Microsoft Office v.X for Mac OS X.

The product will be slightly more expensive than AppleWorks was, but for 99$, there's not really an argument. There's also going to be the 'Die Happy' bundle version:

- Mac OS X 10.2
- QuickTime Pro 6
- iOffice 1.0
- iMovie 3.0
- iPhoto 2.0

All for 199$ :)

P.S.: Microsoft will accuse Apple of bundling applications and 'using their monopoly' on the Macintosh platform, a computing platform Microsoft has supported for almost two decades, beginning with Microsoft Excel, which was released first for the Macintosh. Opposition claims that when Excel came around (1986), there *was* no useable version of Windows, however Microsoft claims: "There is none, now!"

:p good one Fryke

i like the idea of the iCam - vidoeconferencing. If apple started buiding that in and including it on imacs with big advertisements - it might be frightenly succesful.

i would like to see something like iOwe - an alternative to quicken. let me keep track of how much money i have, or how much i am saving towards my next apple purchase. (it would be nice if it came with some extra money in my bank account:rolleyes: )

i'd really also like to see them keep adding more to iphoto. it would be nice to do a lot more simple editing within iphoto - and to work with copies rather than originals. it should get closer to being a graphic convertor or even photoshop type app.

Originally posted by fryke
Apple iOffice (AppleWorks 7)

A complete rewrite in Cocoa, iOffice will be able to seamlessly replace MS Office. It won't be as feature complete as MS Office v. X, but will be able to read & print even documents with features it can't edit/produce. Documents created in iOffice will be fully compatible with Microsoft Office XP for PCs and Microsoft Office v.X for Mac OS X.

Now that is one cool idea. Apple, if you're listening, TAKE NOTE!:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
it should get closer to being a graphic convertor or even photoshop type app.

I would certainly welcome that. However, didn't Apple have a big fight with Adobe because of the editing possibilities in iPhoto (small as they are)?

the i is like their symbol of "hey we are in the consumer market, creating products the average (IE computer illiterate) consumer can use"

I doubt they will make an i office suite in the same fashion they are making i apps because all the i aps until now have been free! If they deviate from that it would probably cause negative attention when people say "what if this is the current trend"

I would assume the next i app would be ichat :D

iDVD-DVD production (home video)
iMovie- Movie production (home video)
iMusic- Audio app, listen to what you want.
iChat- Chat app, improve chat experience.
iPhoto- Improve your digital photography.

What are we missing? I see a conferencing utility a possibility, other than that I would be willing to bet on a good 1/2 year of upgrades to current i Apps, then the introduction of something new.

I see iChat as the i app that will eventually include video conferencing. Hopefully we will see apple come out with this in July.

I like the iOwe program, Ed. Nice idea.

How about an iLikeToSurfTheNetWithoutMicrosoft web browser? ;)

Oh, is this supposed to be a "reality" thread? Sorry, got off track there...

the i in iApps was suppose to stand for intenet.. most of them deal with the internet, but what does iDVD have to do with the internet?

Originally posted by testuser
Throw away the mouse, and put on a headset (headphones & microphone boom). Open and close applications, control the Dock, and have access to every menu control via your voice. No longer send emails or compose documents by typing (at a relatively slow 40-60 words per minute). Open up your full creative potential, and the full potential of all your text apps (120-160 words per min), because iTalk will convert your words to print at the speed of thought.

Somehow that seems too good to be true...

Originally posted by testuser
The hardware already exists to implement iTalk, yet no one is making such a system.
There are significant problems to speech recognition. Say the following out loud:

Youth in Asia
Euthanasia

They sound identical. How can you tell which one to use? Context works great for humans, but it's a sticky wicket for computers. This is only one example. (One? Won? How can you tell?)

Originally posted by Jermsmingy
I see iChat as the i app that will eventually include video conferencing. Hopefully we will see apple come out with this in July.

Don't quote me on this, but I read something somewhere that said that iChat would have Video Conferencing with Netmeeting compatibility. As of now, I don't see any Video Conferencing options in iChat -but I know there's a comprehensive plan on the horizon.

-Brad

I'm not saying that these problems are insurmountable. Just that the last time I checked (which admittedly was a while ago) voice recognition software was running around 75% accuracy. The additional time required to proof your text would make voice dictation longer than a fast typist could produce the same document.

And you meant the color red, otherwise you'd have spelled it read. ;) That's a joke, son. Laugh!

It just seemed from your original statement that everything could be working perfectly if only someone would take the time to do it. That's all I'm saying...

"One" and "Wan" actually do sound different.
Who said "Wan"? Like Obi-Wan? :)

Back