Next step for the user interface?

aaike

bacteria-troubled-brain
Well, this is how I want the panther GUI.

http://www.macosx.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=259

I don't think this would be too much features, an will certainly increase productivity... What do you think? Should I submit this request to Apple? (I didn't change the look of the dock itself since there are tools for this, but I don't know of any that can provide me with that second dock as depicted -Please tell me if I'm wrong).

I guess it's the multiple desktops' tracker. :)

I guess Apple won't include a Dock that goes back to the NeXT/OpenStep style. Apple likes things easy n' simple right now. Docks that span in more directions... I'd love it. Apple won't, sadly...

In the left corner is the pager of codetek virtual desktop which shows what windows are open on the other desktops.

I am wondering if you think there is no way to convince apple to include something like this (Docks in more directions). I think this is just EASIER: Apps in the bottom dock, documents in the right one, less clutter...

now it is Apps on the left and docs on the right... Not much difference with bottom and right, i think

I'm confused by this one, and I used to work in OS/390. That's a bad sign.
What does it offer that the current interface doesn't offer? Aside from virtual desktops, that is.
Remember, people have to actually use this. It's hard enough when you're teaching a newbie to say "this is the desktop", imagine trying to explain "this is the other desktop".

I mean, have you ever had a conversation like this:
"Okay, that's the mouse on the desktop ..."
"What? Where did it go?"
"Right there. That's where your mouse is ..."
"Isn't that it there?"
"Well, yes, but ... but that's the mouse on the desktop."
"Mouse on the desktop. Uh huh."

Well symphonix that's why I wrote that that feature is more like a pro one in my comment to the picture...

As for the dock... that's the main thing I'd like to see implemented. And I don't think this is confusing at all! And moreover it creates more space! (As I also wrote the dock in the example is quite big, but that's jus because I wanted to show what I meant, personally I would like it to be a bit smaller.

Maybe a moveable desktop? If you have seen the film Minority Report of S. Spielberg, you saw that Tom Cruise was scrolling a computerscreen with his hands. That's what Apple has to do too with their desktops. But without the hands of course. You have your desktop set to, f.e. at 3000pixels width. But your resolution of your screen is still 1024x867. So you have to scroll to the right (or back to the left) to see the rest of the 3000-width-desktop. All apps stand still, so when you scroll to the right, apps go to the left (logical...). And for easier use, you have your WHOLE screen (3000width) in miniature at the bottom of your screen where in you scroll too (like in SoundEdit). And the Dock sits on the left of your screen (if you scroll to the right, it doesn't disappear)

You can also choose that you scroll up and down (not left or right). If you choose so, the dock stays at the bottom of your screen.

You can make your desktop as large as you want it to be!

This dreamdesktop is G4-optimized (G3 will be to slow, cause it doesn't have QuartzExtreme Rendering)

ohyes, another thing: For this Apple has to introduce a scrollwheel-mouse. So you can easily scroll the screen. And maybe also a rightbutton, so you can alt+rightbutton scroll the screen! And rightbutton for control+click.

Ooohmy, i want that UI! :D

Hmm... My brandnew iBook does indeed have QuartzExtreme Rendering, senne...

really? i always tought it was G4 only, hmm......

Is there a tester or something, that you can see if you have Quartz or not.. I have a 700mhz iMac G3 Graphite Special Edition

I think Quartz Extreme is dependant on the video card and video ram, not actual computer chip (G3 or G4). If I remember correctly, it requires 8 mb of video ram and an ATI Radeon or GeForce MX.

Originally posted by themacko
I think Quartz Extreme is dependant on the video card and video ram, not actual computer chip (G3 or G4). If I remember correctly, it requires 8 mb of video ram and an ATI Radeon or GeForce MX.

...Quartz Extreme is depended on GPU and not CPU...

This is from Apple:
"Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required."

Find more here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html

I find the GUI idea to be excellent actually. I especially like the minimized window tracker on the right side. However, what I would personally like to do is set the Trash Can to the bottom right corner, and have it stay there. In other words, put Trash into its own window located at the bottom right corner instead of on the dock. This would be an always-on-top window that is present for all applications.

i have to admit i like the GUI especially the concept of the two docks. Maybe someone can design a hack for one for apps and one for documents which are open.

I like Senne's minority report idea! It would be kool in kombination with the nifty zoom function. I would also like to be able to set how transparent the dock is so you could have everything really transparent except the application you have the cursor above (fading out in both directions).
And if the windows behind the window you are working in are off-focus it would look nice.

Or be able to swith between large or small toolbar icons. if you chose small without names yuo would be able to have two rows of them.

The posibility to put an "icon-size scroller" in the toolbar. i nearly always use column-view, but when i do use icon-view it's because i want to watch the icons and then it would be good to have an instant resizer.

Hard to think about stuff that could be better and all the sudden apple comes up with them and then you can't live without them.

Maybe a moveable desktop?
We already have that. Go to "Universal Access" in preferences and turn on zooming ;)

No but really, this isn't new. Check out the Enlightenment window manager for X11.

Originally posted by senne
Maybe a moveable desktop? You have your desktop set to, f.e. at 3000pixels width. But your resolution of your screen is still 1024x867.

Like KDE ? On my 7500/200 running Yellow Dog Linux with KDE... I have a monitor that has a native resolution of 800X600. but the desktop is set at 1024X768. To move the screen around you just push your pointer to the edge of the screen.

I would also like to see the Finder icon in the dock become more useful. If it is going to stay... Apple might as well add some features to it. Perhaps they could make it more like the Windows Start button? Maybe users could add their own folders and shortcuts to it?

Originally posted by Nummi_G4

I would also like to see the Finder icon in the dock become more useful. If it is going to stay... Apple might as well add some features to it. Perhaps they could make it more like the Windows Start button? Maybe users could add their own folders and shortcuts to it?

send this to Apple! NOW! :)

Back