No AirPort after reinstall of OS

kshadlen

Registered
I had to reinstall the OS on my iMac. Now when I go to Internet Connect it says "Status: No AirPort Hardware Found." In fact, the little pie-shape that is usually on the menu bar next to the clock and the volume indicator is gone (as is the icon for the VPN connection). I know the airport base is still working, however, because the connection from macbook (where I'm writing this) is unaffected. It's just on the iMac, with the reinstalled OS. Suggestions most appreciated! Thanks.

Check in your System Profiler/Network tab, and click on Airport Card. If it says something like 'no information found', then your Airport card in your Mac has died and should be replaced.
If you know how to get at your Airport card, you could try reseating it.
If you think the System Profiler is lying to you, then reset the PRAM (reboot while holding Option-Command-P and R). You will hear the startup chime. Continue to hold those same 4 keys until you hear the chime 2 more times. Check the System Profiler again. If no difference, then it's possible that the OS X install missed picking it up during the install. Do an erase and install (you just did this, but could be a faulty install). Watch for any errors during the install. If that is no help, get your Airport card replaced.

have reset PRAM, no difference. Will try reinstalling OS when I have a moment to free up the macbook (the DVD drive on the iMac is broken, so I have to reinstall from the macbook with the iMac booted in firewire target mode). If reinstallatin does not work I may try reseating Airport card, but as I'm not comfortable opening the machine and I'll have to bring it in anyway to get the DVD repair fixed, I might just leave that to safer (though more expensive) hands.

Back