No AppleWorks in new PowerBooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lelereb

Registered
In the software package included with the new PowerBooks AppleWorks is not mentioned, while in iMac it is. It's an error or the more expensive PowerBooks really don't have AppleWorks?

Yes I found it odd too when I purchased my new powerbook a few weeks ago. I looked all around for Appleworks and it wasn't there. I was under the mistaken impression that it was included on all macs.

Here in Greece, only iMacs and eMacs get the AppleWorks...

But you know what? With very little money the PowerMacs/Books users can get the ThinkFree office...

I repeat this is the case for Macs here in Greece as of now. :rolleyes:

sorry to be the one to tell you this but AppleWorks sucks. if you're getting a new Mac, pay $200 more and get Office X.

Well, but it's true, of course. If you want to do 'real' Office work, there's no real way around MS Office right now. And with the current 200$ offer, it's almost a steal.

I'm glad I don't have to do 'real' Office work and write my stories in TextEdit before working on them in InDesign or my story.ch CMS.

Originally posted by kendall
sorry to be the one to tell you this but AppleWorks sucks. if you're getting a new Mac, pay $200 more and get Office X.

By that, I mean that AppleWorks needs an upgrade ASAP but other than this its a nice suite that gives basic stuff that people may actually use the easy and cheap way... Where else can you find basic word processing, spreadsheet, database, painting, drawing, presentation capabilities? Even Office doesn't have basic drawing, painting, database capabilities and it costs 3 times (at least) the price of AppleWorks!

Here in Greece Office costs $670 + 18% VAT... Can that compare to $92 + 18% VAT for AppleWorks? Prices are from Applestore.gr:
http://www.applestore.gr/cgi-bin/We...65v8xQBmPI0BgW3Ddmkb1w/2.0.5.17.3.1.0.3.0.3.0

Even if and when they give offers the Office price NEVER goes under $400! Hmmmmmmm...

Anyways, of course AppleWorks pales compared to Office capabilities but still...

hulksmash. we dont care bout ur crappy country ! its mac population is very small! so next time just keep ur thoughts to ur self :p :p :p

P.S. im only kiddin .im from greece to. and im just tryin to forget how crap mac support is over here:p

get OpenOffice for 100% less than AppleWorks! OpenOffice is probably the closest thing to Office X in features than anything you could buy.

anyway, i opened up AppleWorks one time because it was on my iBook. its a joke and not worth near $100. it should be an iApp.

sorry to be the one to tell you this but AppleWorks sucks.

and

anyway, i opened up AppleWorks one time because it was on my iBook. its a joke and not worth near $100.

That put your opinion in perspective. AppleWorks is about $80 the last time I checked. And as someone who has done more than just opened up AppleWorks one time, I would say it is a pretty good program for the money.

Of course Microsoft Office would also be pretty good at $80, but at it's list price of about $500... that software sucks.

Appleworks does have the multi-function advantage over MSOffice but is out-dated and needs more integration with the OS X interface.
There are no pull down save menu's, still has the OS 9 widgets, no photographic icons and some other errors.
If they made it an iApp it might be a little easier to integrate those features and the brushed interface will make it stand out.*shrug*

Originally posted by mac-blog
and

That put your opinion in perspective. AppleWorks is about $80 the last time I checked. And as someone who has done more than just opened up AppleWorks one time, I would say it is a pretty good program for the money.

Of course Microsoft Office would also be pretty good at $80, but at it's list price of about $500... that software sucks.

to be nice i didnt mention that it actually crashed the very first time i opened it. so i guess in reality i opened appleworks twice but only once successfully. to be completely honest i actually tried to use it once to type up a document. absolute garbage. id use a typewriter before subjecting myself to such utter crap again.

also, the discussion was about buying office for $200 with a new mac.

now dont get me wrong. appleworks is great if you have nothing important to do but if your work really matters to you, id definitely use something else, even if it cost $500.

to be nice i didnt mention that it actually crashed the very first time i opened it. so i guess in reality i opened appleworks twice but only once successfully. to be completely honest i actually tried to use it once to type up a document. absolute garbage. id use a typewriter before subjecting myself to such utter crap again.

also, the discussion was about buying office for $200 with a new mac.

now dont get me wrong. appleworks is great if you have nothing important to do but if your work really matters to you, id definitely use something else, even if it cost $500.

The discussion is about not getting AppleWorks with a new PowerBook.

I use AppleWorks all the time (for important projects that I work on) without it crashing, so maybe your problems with keeping it up are unique to you.

Again, you seem to have far to little experience with AppleWorks (or how to use it properly) to make any form of valid comment either way.

My question is how someone who is so utterly negative was given the position of a moderator. It reflects poorly on the site. And I find nothing nice about your descriptions of a product which you have no experience using. The nice thing to do would have been to excuse yourself from the discussion before interjecting your negative opinions based on your lack of experience.

Or am I getting you wrong?

no, its my opinion that appleworks is absolute crap. if you're following me so far along those lines i think you're understanding me just fine. :)

get OpenOffice for 100% less than AppleWorks! OpenOffice is probably the closest thing to Office X in features than anything you could buy.

anyway, i opened up AppleWorks one time because it was on my iBook. its a joke and not worth near $100. it should be an iApp.

Yep... It is closest to bugs and slow speed in general to the M$ Office and even worst! :eek: He, he, that's why they call it Open :D

+ A native OS X version is STILL under construction (should I say HEAVY construction? ;) )... So, you see Kendal, OpenOffice is still NOT really an option for the majority of Mac users.

ThinkFree Office is a nice alternative but, oh God, is it DAMN slow or buggy?

As for AppleWorks, it may have the worst UI in history of Office-like apps but don't let this fool you... The text handling capabilities + graphics at the same time give EVEN word, et al a run for their money! Go ahead, check it THEN call it crap! Oh, and I'm talking about the Carbon version 6.2.4... And did I say that it is FAST compared to Word/Excel/et al EVEN on slow macs?

+ It gives you the ability to open/save Office documents up to XP (aka 2002) and while not perfect the function is in there...

As I said, in one of my first posts, IF Apple would go on and rebuild it as a Cocoa OS X app while offering the same price or a bit more expensive then I think Office X:for Mac would have a serious problem... Until then AppleWorks isn't THAT much :(

And yes, if one has the money and needs should DEFINETELY go with M$ Office X :rolleyes:

If you don't have the money AppleWorks is just fine... Or even TextEdit for... ahem... simple text functions is fine, too! :D

Just for the record, Apple doesn't include Appleworks with their Professional machines (PowerMac/PowerBook) because they assume that 'power' users will have very specific needs/uses for their computers, requiring specific software (ie. protools for the audio guys, photoshop and quark for the design guys, etc.)

The iMac/iBook and eMac all come with it because these are consumer machines - consumers 'just' want to type letters, surf the internet and get their email, maybe play a game. Apple includes everything they need to do those basic functions in their 'i' series.

In other words, AppleWorks is a consumer program, Office is a professional program. Sheds some light on what Apple thinks of its own software.

BTW, I used Appleworks for a few years and it was fine for word processing. Nothing more. I agree with Apple - Office is a different level of program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back