No Bootcamp in OS X Server 10.6????

8Limes

Registered
i installed two days ago a OS X server 10.6 beta and could not find anywhere the boot camp assistant. i searched the contents of the DL DVD again and even tried to install the .dmg extracted from the regular leopard dl dvd and even snow leopard beta, but that doesn't work either and it tells me that it needs a software update. I can't update it by itself and the apple software update doesn't find it either. It only tries to reinstall itunes 8.2.1 all the time again, altough it is already installed. I searched google for hours already and could find nothing about that at all. Only one question i found concerning that is with 10.5 server, someone asking if it comes with bootcamp and called it even a stupid question because he assumes it most likely does. Even the answer says that it should be coming along with it, after all the server version is not much different and only has additional features and programs with it.

I am not crazy, but there is definitely no boot camp assistant in 10.6 server beta (yet?), if there was one in 10.5 server i don't know. and i could not find 2.1 to download as .dmg anywhere either.

Sounds to me like you're not an ADC member with access to the software. Otherwise you'd report it through ADC as a bug. (And you'd know that specific beta builds may or may not include all software and software in it may or may not work as intended.)

i installed two days ago a OS X server 10.6 beta and could not find anywhere the boot camp assistant. i searched the contents of the DL DVD again and even tried to install the .dmg extracted from the regular leopard dl dvd and even snow leopard beta, but that doesn't work either and it tells me that it needs a software update. I can't update it by itself and the apple software update doesn't find it either. It only tries to reinstall itunes 8.2.1 all the time again, altough it is already installed. I searched google for hours already and could find nothing about that at all. Only one question i found concerning that is with 10.5 server, someone asking if it comes with bootcamp and called it even a stupid question because he assumes it most likely does. Even the answer says that it should be coming along with it, after all the server version is not much different and only has additional features and programs with it.

I am not crazy, but there is definitely no boot camp assistant in 10.6 server beta (yet?), if there was one in 10.5 server i don't know. and i could not find 2.1 to download as .dmg anywhere either.

Yah..... Never had that problem.

I am actually an ADC member. I just never took part on beta testing yet, (just for the iPhone). I missed out to install this beta on time, because i just renovated my apartment. I will tell this issue to the ADC forum as well, but could not find any information there either. I only did software testing so far for Windows 7, Windows Server R2, MS Security Essentials, Office 2008 and Visual Studio 2008.

By the way, when you still can download a RC version of windows 7, you can just purchase the upgrade when it is getting released instead the full version. Not many people know that it will work, but when i pre-ordered my copies (home upgrade for 49.99 and professional for 99.99 vs. 119.99 and 199.99 now), i was getting told that i won't need another pre-existing copy of XP or Vista when i have the RC installed on it.
It will time out and prevent you from installing it, once the retail version is available, but you can always turn back the time like I did that with OS X to install as well. To make sure it will certainly work i changed it in the terminal, because people had issues getting it installed with the developer key after the expired installation time. The version i am using is 10A432 and supposedly the GM release.

I will check in the ADC forum again and let them know if this is a real bug or meant to be like that. After all, they might offer the boot camp assistant as a separate download.

But this is not the first release for testing and when boot camp would be/should be missing i think i would have found something so far about it.

And when the official copy is hitting retail stores, all other version won't be able to update anymore either.

sorry, i forgot, i also tested leopard. that was the case with leopard back then.

I don't see anything in the SL Server info pages that has any mention of Boot Camp.

What circumstances would ask you to reboot out of a _server_ just to boot to Windows (and shut down your server in the process)? - just curious...

This may be nothing new . . . Does anyone know if the Leopard Server install ever came with Boot Camp?

In some occasions i need a windows platform. i would mostly use the podcast in os x server at certain times only as well. and it would to set it up with my domain and hook it up with my 3 mac's and my media-pc. i just received back from another user using 10A432 that boot camp assistant is present on his installation. i already asked him to send me the file. i hope he follows up on it.

thanks again, but i think something must be wrong with my dl dvd then or the image i have.

No, Parallels or VMware are not compatible with most of the apps i use on the windows platform. I thought so in the beginning as well that this is even better of a solution than bootcamp, cause I actually would not have to shut down the server at all. But only certain programs will run properly.

Seems like the only way to have os x server and windows on the same machine installed at the same time is by installing a regular edition which contains bootcamp first.
Then you only have to partition your hdd with bootcamp and install your windows version of choice on it (i installed windows server r2). After that you only have to start the os x server installer and follow the setup. I also erased the old os x partition before but is actually not necessary.

Now i got both, the newest OS X Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 (180 day trial only) running on my macbook. My source has not decided yet if they will update to R2, so i am not a 100% certain yet if i can get a key for it. We will see.

The only difference is that i can't restart from os x server into windows directly by changing the start up disk, but i can do so on the windows platform if needed. And i prefer holding down the alt/option key anyway when i have to start up my machine running windows instead.

Last edited:
Servers usually tend to be used when a big uptime is needed for some of the server functions that the Server was installed for in the first place. So .. how would booting that system to a Windows OS via Boot Camp help contribute to that goal and improve that function?

Even if you installed "regular client" of Mac OS X on your MacBook and then go to Mac OS X Server, Windows 2003 is not supported with Boot Camp. Only the flavors of Windows that make sense for average Joe Consumer use, that is XP or Vista (any non-OEM of those) will work. Even Windows 7 isn't supported with Boot Camp yet. If you installed bot Mac OS X Server on unsupported hardware AND Windows 2003 with unsupported configuration as a Boot Camp machine, great as long as they work (and after that you'll be at your own).

So if you absolutely need to run Mac OS X Server on your MacBook AND to get Windows Server 2003 to it, use Fusion or Parallels. Those support it as a guest OS, and - well, you can actually keep your Mac OS X Server running.
Or wait until Xserves get ESX certified and virtualize both OS X Server and 2003 Server on an Xserve.

BC FAQ and revised for 10.6.
Installing Boot Camp contains also the list of supported versions of Windows for use with it

I'm curious - what Server functionality do you actually need on that MacBook?

I also have a mac mini running os x server at home. All i pretty much need is the mobile access server and podcast producer 2. The reason i need a windows platform is that my software for mass mailing is not mac compatible and i have been using my media pc for it, which i use for entertainment purposes because apple still sucks in that segment. The macbook is only needed when i am outside working or gone for a couple of days. my server only needs to run when i am working anyway, so there is no need for me to have my mac mini or macbook running 24/7. For hosting i do have a leased server using windows server 2003 r2, so i do not have to worry about maintenance, bandwidth, power outage etc. After all power outages are quite often here in florida and a power backup system only does the job for an hour or so. And they can last much longer here, specially after thunderstorms or hurricanes.

Supported or not, but windows 7 works better than xp and vista on bootcamp. All you have to watch out is NOT to install apples bluetooth enabler, although i read this is fixed already. When installing a x64 system you have to modify the installer first, so you do not get stuck on the select option when it starts the installer. And windows server 2008 r2 works like a charm on it too. Now i can even test some stuff before i apply changes on my leased server or explore the new version. In any case, it helps to have server over xp, vista or windows 7 on it. Specially when it is already server 2008 r2. And as i said earlier, i can not use fusion or parallels because not many programs actually do run on that crap. i tried it about a year ago on both of them and i doubt anything changed.

what a load of bs... Parallels and Fusion run the Win OSs mentioned pretty well, and I'm sure your mass-email-software (spam?) would run on it as well, unless it uses DirectX 10, which I can't believe.

Back