NO Browsers Work

twister

Howdy
Ok I don't know what we did but here is the deal. Earlier today all browsers stopped working. Safari works for about 60 seconds and then freezes. It has to be forced quit 3 times before it actually goes away. IE won't even make it to a window before it freezes. Mozilla starts up but then dies and can't be forced quit because the system doesn't see it yet.

And if you look in the process viewer there are a few safari's running under root and their status is zombie??!!

I don't believe this to be an 'internet' problem because mail works fine. It is a system issue that we can't figure out. We've restarted many times, cleared caches and cookies and run disk first aid with no problems.

Please HELP.

Sounds like a suspicious internet plugins problem. delete the <home>/Library/preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist ! This pref file is well known to become corrupted. delete it (with no browser open, of course) Then try any of the problem browsers. If still nogo, then remove com.apple.internetconfig.plist (same folder), but that one may not be necessary.

I tried a few times ( and we've tried that before ) with no luck. But after i trashed them, i started quicktime then IE then safari and everything seemed cool. Everyone works now. Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks!!

Now it's broke again!! I've got it down to cookies. If it goes to a site that has cookies it freaks out.

The problems lie with downloading, and eBay. That is the only site that stales out. I can try downloading anything a stales too.

I have a slightly different problem. Safari works okay, but for the past few days, IE won't load. (There are a few sites that Safari doesn't handle well, so I still need IE.) It starts, then just as the first screen is starting to load it says that Internet Explorer has unexpectedly quit. I'm running the latest version of OS X and the latest version of IE. Or, rather, I'm not running any version of IE at all. I've tried the suggestions above about deleting the preference files, and I've tried deleting the IE application and downloading a new one from Microsoft. Nothing helps. Any ideas?

Try moving all your internet plugins to the desktop (for backup purposes) and then start IE and see if it works. If it does you have a plugin issue and should browse as normal until you feel the need to install any plugins.

yep... we moved all of our internet plugins to the desktop (for backup purposes) and then started browsing. It worked and we browsed as normal until we needed a plugin. Then re-downloaded the plugin and installed it as needed.

Did you keep the plugins you removed elsewhere? I suggest you move them back one at a time and retest the browsers each time, and when you find the original culprit, throw it out and download it again. If the problems resurface, try to live without that plugin.

Back