No Cd Regonition In Powermac 5260

macaulkv

Registered
I'm running OS 8.0 and due to juvenille antics, I can't read CDs from the CD drive anymore and my monitor resolution options are limited to one (overly large) choice. I can live with the too-big text (unless that's a simple fix?) but how can I figure out the CD issue? Is there a way to test if the mechanism still works? I hear a whirring when I load a CD. Is it missing drivers perhaps?

I was hoping some one would give some help earlier.

Have you restarted the computer?
Have you rebuilt the desktop files?

Restart the computer and immediately hold down the option and the apple keys. Continue to hold them down until you get a dialog box asking if you wish to do a desktop rebuild. This will appear after the extension icons load at the bottom of the screen.
When the dialog box comes up, release the keys and click on Okay.

Now give the CD a test.

Are these CDs commercial (data or installer or game) or are they burned?

Sounds like you started the Macintosh with Extensions disabled. Have you tried just restarting like Cheryl said?

If it's not that, check in the Extensions Manager located in the Control Panels folder (or head to the Apple Menu and select Control Panels-->Extensions Manager). Make sure that the CD-ROM extension is enabled.

BTW, download the Mac OS 8.1 update if you can and install that on your Mac. Mac OS 8.1 adds support for HFS+ (aka "Mac OS Extended") which does a better job with managing smaller files.

nixgeek said:
BTW, download the Mac OS 8.1 update if you can and install that on your Mac. Mac OS 8.1 adds support for HFS+ (aka "Mac OS Extended") which does a better job with managing smaller files.
OS 8.1 update is a Good Thing™, but just installing that update doesn't change your hard drive format to HFS+, that would require a complete backup, reformat to the HFS+ format, and reinstall everything - may not be practical for everyone. :)

I never said it would do that. Reread my post...

"Mac OS 8.1 adds support for HFS+..."

To make the system drive support HFS+, you would have to have an actual OS 8.1 CD or create an OS 8.1 boot disk and boot from that to format and install the OS.

However, once you have upgraded to Mac OS 8.1, you have the ability to format other disks and drives using HFS+. :D

Back