No dial-up port on my new iMac?

furballz

Registered
What did I end up with here?

My Two day old iMac G5 has an 8 pin like DSL port but no regular phone jack. The dealer opens tomorrow in Quito, Ecuador but I thought I would like to be armed with some information when I take it back.

Thanks, Furballz

yup. apple has always moved technology forward faster than the competition (serial ports? floppy disks? etc), and to 'help' people upgrade, they remove the older hardware from the computer, making them cheaper as well as being modern. this causes some casualties, but market research said most people were on broadband now, or at least enough people. and there's always a plug in modem if you need to. it looks quite cool as well, it's very small.

Yup, Apple's always supported better, faster technology, like dropping FireWire from the iPods in favor of USB 2 :rolleyes: :D

I was actually thinking about this the other day, I got the last rev of Imac before the isight one that still came with a dial up modem, not that I'm ever likely to use it. Aswell as supporting new and faster technology, it's probably also to do with the space factor, the Imac you got is slightly thinner? I'm sure Apple did a lot more obviously but taking this out would of made extra space for the new isight hardware and ease the slimming down process a little bit more.

As El Diablo already said this fact is all pre-explained on the apple site so you can't really blame them for something you misread/ didn't read at all.

I was wondering when they'd do that. That will free up a bit of space in the new Mac Mini (assuming they remove it for the next model).

Have you read the reviews on the page ElDiabloConCaca linked to? It's getting some pretty bad reviews. Of course, as always, most of the revews are morons giving 1 out of 5 stars because they're pissed off the imac didn't include a modem port, or apple was out of stock when they ordered it. That really p*sses me off.

Ok, Well that's kool, but as someone said in reply, I wasn't up on the apple decision to trash the modem in favor of other improvements. I just smoked up a fatty, ran in the shop and said "gimmie".

Thanks, this is a great site. --Ciao, Furry

Welcome to MacOSX.com!

I may be buying the Apple modem. I was dumb enough to order my Power Mac without a modem because I THOUGHT I was going to be able to get broadband here in the boonies.

Well, I'm about 1/2 mile out of DSL range. CR@P!

Oh, well.

Doug

P.S. You smoked up a WHAT?? ;)

Fatty.jpg

kainjow said:
Yup, Apple's always supported better, faster technology, like dropping FireWire from the iPods in favor of USB 2 :rolleyes: :D
Yea - they should add Firewire800 support though ;)

That's what I call a burger...someone would e-mail that picture to Wendy's or Burger King. :D

Back