No entry after clone hdd

filodore

Registered
First of all, apologies if this has been covered previously. I did a search and it was mainly how should I clone my drive in the future and didn't cover problems resulting afterwards.

So I went a bought a new HDD and some new RAM for my MacBook Pro 17" (mid 2007) to make it feel fresh and new. The RAM went in ok and the computer was fine. Then I went to do the HDD. I started by cloning the old drive onto the new one which was in an external enclosure via Disk Utility. It took about 3.5 hrs and then once it was finished, I went to do the physical switch. Once that was done, I tried to boot and got the No Entry sign and spinning wheel thingy which didn't disappear with fans going hard.

Next I tried to boot from the old one which was now in the external enclosure and connected via USB and so holding option, I see both drives appear and try selecting the old one. No Entry again. Next I tried to boot into safe mode and I get the kernel panic attack thing with it listing /ACPI/ if that helps.

Not sure what to do next to fix it without either the Mac OS X cd because I'm away from home for another week and a half. Is it fixable or will I need to wait until I'm home and then would I do a repair or something? Or will I have to reformat and start from the beginning. Hoping not to have to wait that long to use it again.

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

...So half an hour on, I tried switching the drives back, and voila, the old drive still boots internally... would this mean it is to do with the clone itself? Rather than using disk utility should I try something else?

Last edited:
The clone wasn't "blessed" to be bootable. Disk Utility doesn't do this. Then do a fresh install and update the 10.6 to the latest update. Then with the hold drive in the USB port use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant to port over all your applications, pictures, music but NOT network settings. Just manually make your network connections again with System Preferences->Network pane. At the top of the Network pane use the "Location" drop-down to make a new custom Location calling it whatever your want (I call mine Home). Then at the bottom of the Network pane click on the 'Apply' button to save your new Location. IMHO a new Location is better that the "Automatic" Location is broken and will mess up your wireless Airport settings.

In the future make your clones with the free Carbon Copy Cloner. It will "bless" your clone to become bootable.

If you could explain in detail how you did the "clone" than that would help determine what went wrong. Also, was the new drive actually new or had it previously been partitioned/formatted? Doing a disk utility restore should have worked if the drive was partitioned and formatted properly. If the drive was actually new, just doing a normal format would have taken care partitioning the drive. Did you select the "erase destination" box while doing the restore, if this is how you "Cloned" the drive

it's very simple to fix...follow this steps.

1. Attach old drive into lappy.
2. Attach new drive to external Casing and formate it. Now boot and start disk cloning utility. My advice will be to use http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
3. Now create a image of (Not direct clone) of your old drive and save it in external HDD.
4. Now replace the old HDD with new one. Copay the image from new to old.
5. Now start image cloning utility again and restore the image to new HDD (Source image from u r old HDD)

You are done with it. Enjoy your new DD.. :)

Back