No headphones output

JensBC

Registered
I have a brand new macbook pro, which I want to use for recording music. Everything works except one thing. I cannot get my headphones working.

When I enter System preferences - sound - output, I can only choose the built-in Internal speakers. I was told that this option ought to be changed to headphones, when they are plugged in but that does not happen. I have tried to plug in several different headphones, but nothing changes, so I must be a problem with my macbook.

I am desperate, so any, really ANY, suggestion is extremely welcome and appreciated.

I have a brand new macbook pro, ... I cannot get my headphones working.

... I have tried to plug in several different headphones, but nothing changes, so I must be a problem with my macbook.

I am desperate, so any, really ANY, suggestion is extremely welcome and appreciated.

No desperation needed - The input in the Sound pref pane should change almost instantly when you plug in headphones. If you have tried different headphones, and you are sure that you are using the headphone output (and not the microphone input), then your MacBook Pro is in warranty - you likely have a hardware fault. Take your MacBook Pro in for service.
Your internal speakers should disconnect when you plug in headphones (or other output to external speakers). Does that happen? If not, then that's another good indication that you have a fault, probably in the audio output jack.

If you see no action in System Preferences when you plug in the headphones in its place, you might also want to try to reset the PRAM of the Mac to see if that could force the hardware to see it.

Back