No Leopard until October

Wow. Not too happy about that, especially since I was getting a new iMac this June with Leopard. Hopefully this move doesn't allow any unfortunate consequences to follow. Six more months wait. Dang.

Oh no! Apple is taking on so many projects, it is starting to become Microsoftish. Ugh, I get shivers up my spine.

Me too. :/ Although I agree they should take their time to finish it. I just hope it won't erase firewire harddrives when it's released (as did Panther).

Well that's a bummer. I just hope Leopard doesn't become the next Longhorn. 2.5 years is already an eon in Mac time.

The fact that Apple diverted development resources away from OS X brings back that sneaky feeling that the Mac OS is falling by the wayside. Come to think of it, this should've been on my list of signs of doom back in January.

Hmm, a bit of a shame, although I too would rather they took their time and had a polished product at the end of it. I'm not keen on the increasing trend for the public being the ones to serve as quality assurance for software!

It also bothers me a bit that resources have been diverted away from the Mac and to the iPhone. It raises old issues/fears about Apple's priorities, whether or not there is actually much to worry about.

From Satcomer's link:
...As a result, Apple won’t release Leopard at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June, as it had first planned.

“While Leopard’s features will be complete by then, we cannot deliver the quality release that we and our customers expect from us. We now plan to show our developers a near final version of Leopard at the conference, give them a beta copy to take home so they can do their final testing, and ship Leopard in October...
Does this mean there are still quite a few problems with Leopard, and perhaps development did not go as well as planned? Or perhaps, taking it at face value, resources were just diverted during Leopard's development, delaying it?

Well, it is probably true, they diverted resource for the iPhone. That means that Apple decided it was better the delay Mac OS X, than to delay the iPhone. That is a sign that Apple is gambling that the iPhone will be more profitable than releasing OS X 10.5.

I rather they take their time and do it right. Tiger works great and Adobe is about to release CS3 for intel Macs, so things are good.

sal

yeah, as it stands, there's not much in Leopard that anyone needs right now. the [very] few people that have 10gb RAM will benefit, but that's hardly life threatening. most, if not all, of the other 'features' are already catered for by third party apps, albeit not at a system level.

Well, it is probably true, they diverted resource for the iPhone. That means that Apple decided it was better the delay Mac OS X, than to delay the iPhone. That is a sign that Apple is gambling that the iPhone will be more profitable than releasing OS X 10.5.
Since the iPhone is based on MacOS X 10.5, Apple is likely simply ensuring that the OSes running its phones and personal computers are at parity.

I rather they take their time and do it right. Tiger works great and Adobe is about to release CS3 for intel Macs, so things are good.

I do agree, but I think Mikuro makes a good point; while we may be willing to wait, the bigger issue is Apple Inc dropping "computer" not only from their name, but their consciousness.

I"m hoping at the very least we get to see those damn "top secret" features at WWDC. I don't mind waiting, so long as I know what I'm waiting for.

I also am not too fussed by waiting - I'd prefer to see Apple get it right, and the current version of Mac OS X could hardly be called obsolete or dated. It may even mean Leopard gets features that they might otherwise not have tried to include.

No worries here. Leopard in terms of new features and improvements is the most ho-hum of all the OS X releases to date (for me). I'm not saying I won't change my mind once I use it, but the sneak peak stuff is completely uninteresting to me. Time Warp? No thanks. Backups for Grandma. Spaces? Granted, I never used multiple work space shareware so I may not know what I'm missing, but it seems really overrated. I have no issues with screen organization whatsoever as it is. It's called keyboard shortcuts and Expose. No particular need for Spaces. And all the Mail, iChat, iCal, Dashboard, Accessilibity enhancements, while nice, is not anything I have to have to day (or maybe ever).

Now true 64-bit OS running true 64-bit apps (Motion, Final Cut come to mind) would be more my thing. And Core Animation has a lot of potential if FCP 6 Suite takes advantage of it. Otherwise I could care less if someone can build a cool screensaver more easily thanks to Core Animation.

And while they're at it, maybe they can make the 8-core machine a little more compelling. Not that the 8-core is anything to sneeze at.

1. The memory bottleneck needs to be resolved
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=295355

2. A next-gen GPU needs a home
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37614

3. I need some specs for Final Cut that make it really worth jumping from a Dual 2.7 G5. (We'll see what kind of specs we get next week at NAB).

So, bring it on Apple. New next-gen towers (new design too please) complete with Leopard in October!

It's rather uncool, especially as the whole world get's to suffer under the delay without having any use from the iPhone. With _some_ luck, it might hit Europe around X-Mas, if at all this year

Hope we get a fully developed OS later this year then. With the delay, there better be a minimum of "child diseases" then

At least they've now jumped from brushed metal to unified look in the latest build. That's _something_, isn't it. ;) I'm happy 'bout that. :) :) :)

I am not very upset, although was looking forward to some new features. In the back of my mind I figured Leopard would be delayed because of other adventures Apple is taking. Oh well, not much to complain about, Tiger still better than Vista:rolleyes:

Wow! And you all seem so surprised!
Probably because Apple itself had continued to state Leopard would ship in the Spring of 2007, even until recently. Putting it off until October is a fairly sizable delay.

Cached version of Apple's OS X page (cached because it has very recently been updated to say October 2007):
Google Cache said:
This is G o o g l e's cache of http://www.apple.com/macosx/ as retrieved on 8 Apr 2007 08:06:29 GMT.

Get ready, get set, get Leopard
All these features and more are delivered to you in one universal, fully accessible, 64-bit operating system. Coming spring 2007.

Amazon's description, too, seemed to further state this.

And then there were articles that cited Apple, such as the one on MacNN, which denied delays to Leopard:
MacNN said:
Apple has denied circulating rumors of delays in Mac OS X Leopard, its next-generation operating system. A report by Michael Gartenberg of JupiterResearch says that Apple has confirmed Leopard will ship in the "spring", contrary a rumor floated by the somewhat unreliable Asian Digitimes publication. Last week, it claimed that Apple was going to delay the release of Leopard--until possibly October--to allow Leopard to support Windows Vista via Boot Camp. "The rumor mill is wrong again," Gartenberg wrote in his blog. The company, however, in February flatly denied delays in shipment of its revolutionary Apple TV set-top until just a few days before launch, despite published reports to the contrary. The much-anticipated device, formally introduced in January at Macworld Expo, was delayed by just over three weeks and began arriving in customers hands last week.

By the way, I looked up Michael Gartenberg's blog to see what it actually said:
Is Leopard Delayed? Nope, not according to Apple

Michael Gartenberg | March 23, 2007, 03:07 PM

Reports coming in that Leopard's delayed until sometime in October. Just spoke with Apple who confirmed the reports are wrong and Leopard is still scheduled to ship in this spring as they previously announced. The rumor mill is wrong again.

Delays do happen, and Apple have delayed some product releases in the past. It's just that Apple had maintained, until very recently, that Leopard was still set to see the light of day this Spring. :(

Back