No Leopard until October

Can UNO do anything more than Unsanity's Metallifizer? Because in UNO's screen shot on MacUpdate, there is an error concerning iTunes.

Back on topic, I'm kinda glad Leopard's release is being pushed back. After all, Tiger has only recently been updated with 10.4.9. Don't see the point in shelling out for a new, inevitably buggy OS as soon as the previous iteration is mature. And unless the "secret" features of 10.5 are as mind-blowing and useful as the iPhone's Multi-Touch or as was Panther's Exposé, then I can't imagine that this new version is going to be a must-have for the average user. On the other hand, the iPhone has already generated such excitement and anticipation in the general public that Apple really could not afford to delay its launch without suffering a terrible blow to its image.

As for all those who worry that Apple is abandoning the Mac in favor of gadgets, as signified by the dropping of "Computers" from their name: At this point, everyone already just calls the company Apple anyway, "Computer" is just redundant. And gadgets like the iPhone and Apple TV, and to some extent even the iPod, are still computers in their own right. As electronic devices have grown in sophistication, the whole idea of computing has become more amorphous. And as Fryke quite rightly pointed out some time ago, with all the time and money Apple has recently poured into the Mac platform, going from PPC to Intel, there is absolutely no chance of their abandoning it! The fact that both Apple TV and the iPhone rely on cutting edge versions of OS X only underscores this point.

I don't have to have mind-blowing features, especially in every release of a new OSX. Sure, the masses agree that the Brushed Metal Look is over, and it appears Apple has well. What I like to see from one version to the next is stability and more consistency. I feel OSX has done that. It could be argued that Tiger just added some features over Panther. I am not expecting Leopard to be a drastic change, but hopefully some improvement over what we have now, with a few features added for comfort.:)

Yes, but stability usually isn't simply improved from, say, 10.3.x to 10.4 or 10.4.x to 10.5. Rather, you'll be safer on the omega-version of the lower system until the new system has had its kinks worked out.

not a fan of the new unified look. looks awkwardly dark, and it generally looks a bit half arsed. like they looked at what they'd got and went 'yeah that's the one that works... bugger it'

Vista's new look is also a bit rubbish, but you can at least tell a lot more thought went into it.

The delay did _not_ suprise you? ;) I personally wonder if that means we'll finally see a 10.4.10. :) :) :)

I figured that after showing off the iPhone, the bar had been raised very high on expectation for the next Apple product, specially OS X, since the iPhone has a really amazing OS within it (which seems to be a version of Leopard).

Now Leopard can't be anything less impressive than the iPhone, it has to be really amazing.

I think it will and Apple's delay and secrecy over the features is hint that something big this way comes. Leopard is serious stuff, im intriged.

"Mac Oh-Es Ten, Ten point four point Ten." Yeah. :)

I didn't know you were fluent in Spanglish..

"Oh, Es Ten!"

Se dice "Oh, es diez!" :p Vamos a hablar correctamente, por favor. :D

Sorry...it's a slow afternoon here at work (thank God). :)

I figure if it was *really* meant to be pronounced as "ten" instead of "ex", then they'd put a big number "10" on the box instead of an "X", right? ;-)

They are just implying the X as in UniX and LinuX but just pronouncing as Ten to avoid UNIX license thing.

Back